Mander Organ Builders Forum

Carillons For Organ...

giwro

Hello,

Daniel Fleuret - Carillon

Ulysse Matthey - Toccata-Carillon

am I right that your source for this two pieces is "Les Maitres contemporains de l'Orgue" Volume 8, published by Joseph Joubert at Edition Maurice Senart in 1914?

Cheers

tiratutti

Hello,

am I right that your source for this two pieces is "Les Maitres contemporains de l'Orgue" Volume 8, published by Joseph Joubert at Edition Maurice Senart in 1914?

Cheers

tiratutti

You are correct!

There is also a boxed set of facsimiles plus transcriptions of the preludes for carillon by Matthias van den Gheyn (1721-85) of Leuven. Other pieces from French composers not previously mentioned, as far as I can see, include "Carillons ou cloches" from the livre de Noëls of Pierre Dandrieu and the Carillon appended to the livre de Noëls by Michel Corrette.

A couple more for you:

Le Carillon - Wolstenholme

Carillon Fugue - final movement of A Feast of Fugues (pub. Animus) - Richard Popplewell

Talking of which, wouldn't it be fun to have a go on a real carillon ! ! ! :rolleyes:

There are probably quite a few churches with a carillon, as Gillett & Johnson of Croydon were manufacturers of such things. Christ Church Beckenham had one some years ago. This was a row of levers struck by the hands, and could play any tune requiring no more than eight notes. Others had wires that would be pulled outwards to chime the bells, in both cases using a hammer to 'clock' the bells. Does anyone know of the famous 'Cadbury' Carillon at Bourneville? This seems to have had an organ-style 'console'.

CP

There are probably quite a few churches with a carillon, as Gillett & Johnson of Croydon were manufacturers of such things. Christ Church Beckenham had one some years ago. This was a row of levers struck by the hands, and could play any tune requiring no more than eight notes. Others had wires that would be pulled outwards to chime the bells, in both cases using a hammer to 'clock' the bells. Does anyone know of the famous 'Cadbury' Carillon at Bourneville? This seems to have had an organ-style 'console'.

CP

Yes, it does. It' housed in a 'shed' on the top of the tower with the bells.

It has a good organ connection - the resident carilloneur is also the organist at the parish church over the road.

I had no idea there were so many Carillon works for organ, but I baulk at the idea of organists playing proper carillons.

However, organ and bells are a nice combination, but playing organ music on bells is probably a mistake if contrapuntal clarity is required.

I think I'll write a joke carillon, and call it "Swingtime with Quasimodo"

Organ music ON a carillon

Organ WITH a carillon

The same piece played utterly without taste....love it!

Now a sudden thought came into my head. Where do these carillon perfomers practise?

Surely not a dead of night; constantly going over and over the tricky bits?

People would go mad, like in that film "Puppet on a chain" by Alastair Maclean, where all the clocks chime at the same time.

Perhaps they have portable "home" carillons?

Is there a Hauptwerk virtual carillon?

We need to know.

MM

Is there a Hauptwerk virtual carillon?

We need to know.

Yes, there is, and I have it installed. Also a couple of peals of bells in the usual parish church sense.

There's also a steam calliope, for added variety.

Paul

Yes, there is, and I have it installed. Also a couple of peals of bells in the usual parish church sense.

There's also a steam calliope, for added variety.

Paul

===================

Well quite, but that's hardly a suitable practise instrument for the real thing is it?

So far as I can make out, playing a Carillon is a cross between "Whack-a-mole" and "Taekwando."

I mean, do Carilloneurs, (if that's the correct spelling), engage in rigorous fitness regimes and body-building activities?

Do students need steroids from an early age?

Are they not supplied with ear defenders under European health & safety legislation?

At least witrh organ "Carillons," we can delude ourselves into thinking that we're playing bells, and we don't need a therapist to overcome vertigo, generally speaking.

MM

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have a friend who collects Carillons written for Organ - he's found a staggering number of them.

[snip]

I'm sure in my haste I've forgotten a number of them - any one want to add?

one addition

Sigfrid Karg-Elert: Gavotte et Carillon (no. 6 from the partita in E op. 100)

Cheers

tiratutti