Mander Organ Builders Forum

What Should I Play On This?

Buxtehude

I am going with a group to Seville in October and will be playing an exit voluntary after Mass at Santo Angel. I anticipate having very little rehearsal time to set up any complex registration schemes.

The spec can be found here:

http://iof.pipechat.org/ldshow.php?file=03404100207

Any bright ideas? I'd like to give the group I'm with something reasonably showy.

Thanks in advance!

I am going with a group to Seville in October and will be playing an exit voluntary after Mass at Santo Angel. I anticipate having very little rehearsal time to set up any complex registration schemes.

The spec can be found here:

http://iof.pipechat.org/ldshow.php?file=03404100207

Any bright ideas? I'd like to give the group I'm with something reasonably showy.

Thanks in advance!

If you're asking for Spanish pieces, I don't know much but can strongly recommend two by Jesus Guridi. Whether you can find copies is another matter, in both cases, kind friends gave me mine! They are:

Offertorio - starts solemn, ends exciting, sounds fairly traditional, about grade 7 Associated Board

Final - starts tricky, ends tricky, sounds tricky, wonderful piece, about Diploma level

but you did say you're going in October!

If you're after suggestions for any music from anywhere, I'd make it British. When you play abroad, I think it's nice to give them things they don't get every day. I recently played four concerts* in Germany and my hosts (without exception) always wanted copies of the English items afterwards.

There are so many good UK pieces I hesitate to suggest any, but I would avoid anything offensively 20th-century-sounding in favour of energy... a bright bit of Mathias perhaps, some Philip Cranmer, some mid-period Howells perhaps (though there are registration implications with Howells). Pick something you don't hear every day, people are usually more impressed by things they haven't heard before. For some reason, the first of Vaughan Williams' Three Preludes on Welsh Hymn Tunes has just entered my head - that's pretty flashy: Bryn Calfaria and it only needs the sort of stuff that organ's got.

* Yes, I know there was a topic about this recently. In Germany there is no question, they are Concerts.

Oh, and people come!

Thanks, I strongly suspect that the listeners will be mostly the group I am with so I think Spanish best (mid-week Mass, not on a feast day, with group of 60 singers).

The Guridi suggestions look interesting. The British Library has a copy of the Final and I'm in there quite a lot so will have a glance at this - maybe it's time for a challenge!

Does anyone have this book? http://www.musicroom.com/imagezoom.aspx?product_id=24520

Might the Offertorio appear?

Thanks, I strongly suspect that the listeners will be mostly the group I am with so I think Spanish best (mid-week Mass, not on a feast day, with group of 60 singers).

Have you come across the intriguing "Vox Humana" series of international organ music from Barenreiter? Volume 3 (BA8233) is devoted to Spain, and has a number of rewarding items: a Tiento sobre el Pange Lingua Espanol by Diego de Alvarado (good for pre-service or Communion), a "Gaitilla" by Sebastian Duron (reminiscent of the Basses de Cromorne by Couperin, Clerambault et al, only much 'flashier' - your left hand will get a good work-out!), and a Tiento de Primo Tono by Andres do Sola (similar but in this one it's the right hand that shows off) and there's also a Sonata for Clarines (definitely for postlude or recital use) by probably the most familiar Spanish keyboard composer, Antonio Soler.

Hope that's helpful...