Mander Organ Builders Forum

Nigel At Arundel

Malcolm Kemp

I've just got home from Arundel Cathedral where Board member Nigel Allcoat has given a stunning recital At least two other members of this Board were present.

Seldom have I heard Franck slow movements (A minor Chorale and the Cantabile) so beautifully and artistically controlled with sensible use of subtle rubato, but the improvsations on each verse of the Ave Maris Stella and on the four Anthems of Our Lady from Compline were absolutely out of this world. Each improvisation was preceded by the plainchant melody sung by a Schola of five excellent young singers, mainly from Lancing College. The standing ovation from the audience at the end was well deserved.

Thanks Nigel, for a fantastic evening.

Malcolm

absolutely out of this world.

Malcolm

How very kind of you to attend and support the festival in such an outrageously beautiful place. Alas for me it was with an organ in a very high pitch and so that made me have to transpose everything in my mind! Perhaps that accounted for subtle rubato whilst I wrestled with this major problem. An affliction (amongst others), since birth.

Indeed, I was delighted that the young gentlemen were able to add such a special dimension. A joy and an inspiration for me.

So glad though, that you thought my playing was like nothing on earth(!) - as Tournemire I believe, remarked that the 3rd Choral was music of the Angels.

N