Mander Organ Builders Forum

Jerusalem Ton Pentre

Guest Patrick Coleman

Guest Patrick Coleman
Here are some photographs taken yesterday afternoon of the final remains of this organ (NPOR J00179) which was lovingly saved from the above defunct chapel ten years ago and installed in a church. Despite attempts to save it and/or obtain the use of some of its pipework, it had, to quote the instigator of the destruction, its 'heart torn out' on Monday 14th and most of it was 'chopped up' on Tuesday 15th. RIP.

Guest Patrick Coleman

I'm a bit disappointed there are no responses to this thread, though there have been over 200 views, and I have received an enquiry by phone from the USA!

I suppose this scenario is all too common. :P

Jerusalem Ton Pentre was considered one of the 'cathedrals' of Valley Nonconformity, and I was told that Vowles 'raised their game' for this prestigious project, even donating the 16' display pipes.

I'm a bit disappointed there are no responses to this thread, though there have been over 200 views, and I have received an enquiry by phone from the USA!

I suppose this scenario is all too common. :P

Jerusalem Ton Pentre was considered one of the 'cathedrals' of Valley Nonconformity, and I was told that Vowles 'raised their game' for this prestigious project, even donating the 16' display pipes.

I can understand your disappointment at the lack of response from the Board, Patrick. I'm sure we all feel pain at the wanton destruction of this organ and can only wonder at the people who allowed it to happen and those that instigated it.

Patrick

I am appalled by this as I hope we all are. It raises again the question of why there is no state protection in the UK for organs of historical value. This is a situation unique in Europe. I know that BIOS has tried in the past to obtain the status of a gonvernment advisory body without success. With the ever-increasing rate of church closures in the UK, the potential for destruction of swathes of what is left of the British organ heritage is greater than ever. It is the responsibility of all of us involved in the organ culture (whether as professional people or as enthusiasts) to fight hard for such instruments and to ensure their survival to the best of our abilities.

The presence of a state advisory body doesn't automatically solve the problem (as Pierre will confirm) but at least it provides some legal protection for organs and theoretically means that those responsible for the destruction of valuable organs can be prosecuted.

Bazuin