Mander Organ Builders Forum

Compline Music

andyorgan

Here at school we've got the opportunity to restore a regular compline service with our boys. They enjoy singing plainsong, usually trotting out the Advent prose as a once a year outing. However, I'd like to get hold of a copy of the music for compline in modern notation, rather than teaching them how to read the old notation. Anyone know where I can get hold of a copy?

Thanks, in advance

The old Plainchant Publications Committee (Liturgical Choir Books edited by Francis Burgess) used to do Sunday Compline (which in practice is hardly any different from weekday Compline, regardless of which version you use) in a modern notation version. Whether it is still available is another matter but try the RSCM first as they do still have a few of the Burgess publications in their catalogue. Even if it isn't in the current catalogue they might be able to produce some copies for you. It's worth a try.

If that doesn't work I suggest you ring Richard Barnes at Cathedral Music (01243 379968) because he has an uncanny knack of being able to produce copies of almost anything from anywhere, however obscure, and he has an incredible knowledge of his subject. Tell him I said so because he already owes me a pint!

Malcolm

The RSCM publishes Music for Common Worship: Night Prayer (Compline) in Traditional Language (Ref: RCW107) which I have used.

The traditional-language version contains a plainsong setting of the text from Common Worship: Sunday Services, together with those contained in the 1928 prayer Book. Published for the Plainsong & Medieval Music Society.

The RSCM publishes Music for Common Worship: Night Prayer (Compline) in Traditional Language (Ref: RCW107) which I have used.

The traditional-language version contains a plainsong setting of the text from Common Worship: Sunday Services, together with those contained in the 1928 prayer Book. Published for the Plainsong & Medieval Music Society.

Many thanks so far everyone.