Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Melodia Pipe Organ

Jonathan Lane

Hmmm, I don't know if there is any connection, but there was an organbuilder in New Zealand who 'built' Melodia Pipe Organs, there being at least two models. However it is obvious from the standard of the work that they weren't built by him but definitely imported. This would be in the mid 1950's. Melodia No. 1 was Gt. 8', 8' Sw. 8', 4'. Pedal coupled down.

Melodia No. 2 was two manual & pedal, 11 stops, electric action, mahogany & oak casework. (Original disposition unknown as the organ has been rebuilt since then).

Hmmm, I don't know if there is any connection, but there was an organbuilder in New Zealand who 'built' Melodia Pipe Organs, there being at least two models. However it is obvious from the standard of the work that they weren't built by him but definitely imported. This would be in the mid 1950's. Melodia No. 1 was Gt. 8', 8' Sw. 8', 4'. Pedal coupled down.

Melodia No. 2 was two manual & pedal, 11 stops, electric action, mahogany & oak casework. (Original disposition unknown as the organ has been rebuilt since then).

It may well be by the same people although this one seems a bit earlier and is tracker action, it is 2 manuals and pedals and 8 speaking stops, being Gt: 888, Sw: 8844, Ped: 16.

What is perhaps more interesting is the placing of the bellows, on top of the swll box!

We have just come across an organ with a builders plate saying 'The Melodia Pipe Organ - 12 Rathbone Place, London, W1'

Does anyone know anything about these instruments. I have more information if useful and photos.

Thanks,

Jonathan

There was an organbuilder in The Netherlands working in the 1950's using the name Melodia Orgelfabriek. The owner of this firm was Cornelis Verweijs. The quality of work in their pipe organ was very mediocre (and that's an understatement).

Maybe there is a link?

Dave Lazoe.

There was an organbuilder in The Netherlands working in the 1950's using the name Melodia Orgelfabriek. The owner of this firm was Cornelis Verweijs. The quality of work in their pipe organ was very mediocre (and that's an understatement).

Maybe there is a link?

Dave Lazoe.

I would put money on a link between Melodia Orgelfabriek and the New Zealand organbuilder, (Matla) who was from Holland before coming out to New Zealand. Not having seen any of the organs for a decade or so, my only recollection of them is they were a curse to get into, and lacking any grunt in the Pedal department. Whether they are the same organs as The Melodia Pipe Organ 12 Rathbone Place, London, will remain to be seen.

CTT