Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Organ Of St Walburge's Preston

Jonathan Thorne

Some interesting photos. Any idea who the original builder was?

Seems a bit of a shame that it is not maintained.

JA

Should've started on NPOR http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi...ec_index=S00041.

Interesting specification, but no 8p flute on swell. I guess you could've just used the 16p up an octave though.

JA

Should've started on NPOR http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi...ec_index=S00041.

Interesting specification, but no 8p flute on swell. I guess you could've just used the 16p up an octave though.

JA

It looks good on paper. Unfortunately the school system is blocking everything (including the colour pink), so I am unable to look at the photographs until later.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Roffensis

As I recall it, a Hill job. Yes good on paper but I have not heard it, I think it may have been "got at". Quite a church too. Perhaps it's one of those cases of the rot setting in and no real concern? perhaps?......

If you think that's sad, St. Francis Xavier's, Liverpool, 4 decker Hill, a gem, hasn't worked in yonks. I made a lot of recordings there prior to it's demise, just as well........ :(

R

As I recall it, a Hill job. Yes good on paper but I have not heard it, I think it may have been "got at". Quite a church too. Perhaps it's one of those cases of the rot setting in and no real concern? perhaps?......

If you think that's sad, St. Francis Xavier's, Liverpool, 4 decker Hill, a gem, hasn't worked in yonks. I made a lot of recordings there prior to it's demise, just as well........ :(

R

On another thread, I was asked about which "jolly good" English organs were available for re-housing/re-building for the RAM. Here is evidence of a couple. So far as I am aware there is nothing much wrong with Hill organs.... Not so long ago we heard of one of the big Christian Scientist Church organs coming available for re-housing. I guess that has had a home by now.

I ought to say that I couldn't care less about the RAM or its organ; but it does seem a pity to have pedigree organs rotting away un-used whilst other organs costing mega-bucks are being imported. But then, I'd be more than happy with a decent digital job, so I guess you could say there's no counting for taste! :(

Guest Roffensis
On another thread, I was asked about which "jolly good" English organs were available for re-housing/re-building for the RAM. Here is evidence of a couple. So far as I am aware there is nothing much wrong with Hill organs.... Not so long ago we heard of one of the big Christian Scientist Church organs coming available for re-housing. I guess that has had a home by now.

I ought to say that I couldn't care less about the RAM or its organ; but it does seem a pity to have pedigree organs rotting away un-used whilst other organs costing mega-bucks are being imported. But then, I'd be more than happy with a decent digital job, so I guess you could say there's no counting for taste! :(

It's very disheartening in Liverpool. Apart from SFX which I have mentioned, another, St. Dunstan's, Edge Hill lies derelict, a 3 manual Fr. Willis. Far more seriously, an old Bewsher and Fleetwood, of about 1830, 3 manuals is silent, with most middle and upperwork trodden on and smashed. In recent years, various churches have been demolished with organs in situ, but one mustn't forget that was the City of Culture :( . If John Lennon had played any of these organs, they would have plaques on and be major attractions! :lol:

Worse still are churches with splendid organs that simply do not want them and would rather have nappy changing facitlities. Some churches almost hate any interest in their organs at all!!

I hope that many here do find decent homes where they are appreciated and used, rather than be mute white Elephants surrounded by ignorant Philistines! All hail the Tambourine and Clavinova!! Lack of proper maintenance and complacency has led us to the lamentable state of things here in Liverpool. It's only when you travel around the country you realise how sad the situation is here. The two organs I play regularly I guard and preserve with my life!! Neither has had an all out rebuild since the 20s, and yet both work from end to end!! The builders just keep on top of the faults. There's no excuse.

R

I heard talk of Lancaster Priory acquiring the organ of St Walburg's in Preston, and to be erected in the West Gallery should the funds ever materialise, but that looks ever more unlikely in the present economic climate. Very sad on two fronts in that an organ by Hill should be left to decay whilst another beautiful church elsewhere should remain without a pipe organ. The existing Makin organ in Lancaster Priory is showing it's age faster than any pipe organ would ever do, and should never have replaced the Harrison & Harrison organ that was sold off to make way for it. As for organs left to moulder in churches whilst the happy clappy brigade bring themselves nearer to God with some of the most unholy of musical instruments, I have read in some music periodicals that a backlash has begun in the Catholic church. People are lamenting the removal of their organs as the waning in fashion for guitar and drums based "praise" has started in earnest, as the thought it would attract younger people back to church has failed miserably. They are now fund raising in earnest to have the organ back in its rightful place as the instrument to lead worship. The C of E as usual drags its feet in these matters, but it won't be long before we see the trend happening here I don't doubt! :D

Guest Patrick Coleman
Not so long ago we heard of one of the big Christian Scientist Church organs coming available for re-housing. I guess that has had a home by now.

We have it in store here, and plans for its installation are almost complete.

If you read the New Liturgical Movement website and one or two UK blogs of RC churches (notably one in Brighton) you will see that there are obvious signs of some parts of the Roman Church regretting having thrown baby out with the bath water and are trying to bring back, at least sometimes, decent liturgy and music. Interestingly it seem to be the young people - in some cases the very young - who are asking for such things every week.

In May this year I played for the silver jubilee Mass of a local RC priest. It was a full Solemn High Mass, lace albs, humeral veil, maniples, Latin, Last Gospel, Vittoria Missa O Quam Gloriosum plus several motets. Admittedly, in the Brighton area us Anglicans do all that sort of thing rather better but, over the past 50 years we've had more practice at it and more freedom to do it!

I think the tide is beginning to turn and some (but by no means all) RCs are beginning to try to recover their lost heritage. Some are even becoming aware of the need to maintain, restore and preserve their pipe organs. We must be grateful.

Malcolm

It's very disheartening in Liverpool. Apart from SFX which I have mentioned, another, St. Dunstan's, Edge Hill lies derelict, a 3 manual Fr. Willis...

I agree, R. A lamentable stare of affairs. However, the 'guitar mob' can't be blamed for the dereliction of the St Dunstan's Willis. Anglo-Catholic neglect is just as ruinous as Charismatic neglect!

If you think that's sad, St. Francis Xavier's, Liverpool, 4 decker Hill, a gem, hasn't worked in yonks. I made a lot of recordings there prior to it's demise, just as well........ :lol:

Just looked this one up on the NPOR. The record with index number N00170 gives this as being playable.

Dave

We have it in store here, and plans for its installation are almost complete.

The only churches I know of in Abertillery are:

- Congregational Church (Conarcher organ)

- St. Michaels (WG Vowles 1910 / Lyndon Stephens, 1970s & 1992)

Which one is getting the organ from the Christian Science church (which was where)?

Dave

SFX church was rewired recently and the blower was never re-connected. Aside to that, I believe some of the pipework is in storage. The church know what a great organ they have, and do have plans to bring it back to life in the future.

Sam Austin

Hi

If you look at the survey date, the organ was playable in 1990 - nearly 20 years ago!

Every Blessing

Tony