Mander Organ Builders Forum

Help For A Funeral On Monday

Peter Clark

In desperation - I have to play a funeral Monday at 10.00 am and they want "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" and "I heard the voice of Jesus say" neither of which I can get my hands on - any help? (They also want Jerusalem (Parry))

Deus in ajdutorium meum intende

Peter

For "I heard the voice of Jesus say": one of these tunes? http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/i/h/iheardtv.htm

And for the Sunbeam: http://www.biblestudycharts.com/CH_Jesus_W..._A_Sunbeam.html

Hope this helps,

Dick

Jerusalem (to other words) and I heard the Voice... (Kingsfold) are both in the much-maligned Mission Praise.

... Sunbeam: could I suggest listening and busking?

BTW - I see Mission Praise is now in a black edition, with another 100+ songs... the previous one barely fits on the music desk!!

The choir would need weightlifting exercises!

Jerusalem (to other words) and I heard the Voice... (Kingsfold) are both in the much-maligned Mission Praise.

... Sunbeam: could I suggest listening and busking?

BTW - I see Mission Praise is now in a black edition, with another 100+ songs... the previous one barely fits on the music desk!!

The choir would need weightlifting exercises!

Sunbeam I have now got as a pdf from another forum but not sure which tune they want for I heard the Voice so an embarrassing few moments will be spent tomorrow humming the alternatives down the phone.

But isn't this forum just great for this sort of thing?

Many thanks for your responses.

Peter

Sunbeam I have now got as a pdf from another forum but not sure which tune they want for I heard the Voice so an embarrassing few moments will be spent tomorrow humming the alternatives down the phone.

But isn't this forum just great for this sort of thing?

Many thanks for your responses.

Peter

I would be surprised if they had the Kingsfold tune in mind when they requested "I heard the voice" - I bet they're after the one in G minor - sorry - don't have a hymn book at my side but I think it's by Dykes and the tune is called Vox something - possibly/probably Vox Dicentis.

Good luck!

Guest Roffensis
In desperation - I have to play a funeral Monday at 10.00 am and they want "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam" and "I heard the voice of Jesus say" neither of which I can get my hands on - any help? (They also want Jerusalem (Parry))

Deus in ajdutorium meum intende

Peter

Subeam!? Tell them they can't have it as you can't find the music. Someone once asked me to play Swing low sweet Chariot, to which I said NO. I said it wasn't liturgically correct. I was told by the funeral director that I was not supposed to say that. I simply replied "I just have". I always recommend that tosh is reserved for the Crem. So does the Priest. :lol:

R

Subeam!? Tell them they can't have it as you can't find the music. Someone once asked me to play Swing low sweet Chariot, to which I said NO. I said it wasn't liturgically correct. I was told by the funeral director that I was not supposed to say that. I simply replied "I just have". I always recommend that tosh is reserved for the Crem. So does the Priest. :(

R

They'd already printed the order of service before either the priest or I had seen it.... something we're going to crack down on here.

P

Peter,

Did you play “Sunbeam”?

Assuming the PDF you were sent is the same one I found at Hymnary.org it’s a very pianistic arrangement. Did you play it as written or do any re-arrangement.

I’d be interested to know what people do to make things like this work on the organ.

Peter,

Did you play “Sunbeam”?

Assuming the PDF you were sent is the same one I found at Hymnary.org it’s a very pianistic arrangement. Did you play it as written or do any re-arrangement.

I’d be interested to know what people do to make things like this work on the organ.

Yes I did play it - as the coffin left the church. I re-arranged it, filling in the appropriate chords. I tried, no honestly, I tried to keep it tasteful but I'm sure it must have sounded more Blackpool Tower than Blackpool Sacred Heart.

Peter

Although it may be an unusual choice for a funeral, for me this song recalls many happy childhood memories. At Sunday school in the early sixties, we used to sing Jesus wants me for a sunbeam a lot. It may not be not great music, but surely in the category of “hymns for very young people” it's up there with the greats like Daisies are our silver.

Although it may be an unusual choice for a funeral, for me this song recalls many happy childhood memories. At Sunday school in the early sixties, we used to sing Jesus wants me for a sunbeam a lot. It may not be not great music, but surely in the category of “hymns for very young people” it's up there with the greats like Daisies are our silver.

Mark, I really loved that hymn. It's the first one I really remember from Sunday School. Looking back, 40 odd years on, it really made me think about the beauty of nature and God in what was a most childlike way. Our music teacher was more interested in our elocution between 'are' and 'our', however!

• 4 weeks later...

Funeral this morning, not in my "home" church. I saw the deceased's son last week to talk about the music, and the priest was also present. It seems that mum's favourite piece of music was Nessun Dorma and son wanted this played during the Mass. When we pointed out that this wasn't really appropriate, he said that the Funeral Director has said it would be OK. It seems that FDs are now arranging the music, so a letter will be sent to all FDs which serve this area saying that the music will be chosen in consultation with priest and organist.

As a compromise I will play it as the coffin leaves the chutch.

Peter

Nessun Dorma at a funeral makes a change from its usual location of a Nuptual Mass! :D

Nessun Dorma at a funeral makes a change from its usual location of a Nuptual Mass! :P

Just as well that most of the congregation won't know what the words mean. :lol:

Thinking about the recent case of the vicar in Tunbridge Wells, I've come to the conclusion that it's only a matter of time before some insensitive clod demands Disco Inferno (Burn Baby Burn) be played at a cremation service. :o

I can just see the headline now :D

EC

Guest Roffensis
Shall we start a sequel to Grumpy Old Men?

Yes :P

I have never played "Nasty Doormat" as I perfer to call it. I heard what I considered a perfectly foul rendition of it recently on the telly :D during a funeral at a fairly major Cathedral.

The big dark one.

Really this sort of stuff should be banned.

It's disgusting.

I'm disgusted. :lol:

R

Subeam!? Tell them they can't have it as you can't find the music. Someone once asked me to play Swing low sweet Chariot, to which I said NO. I said it wasn't liturgically correct. I was told by the funeral director that I was not supposed to say that. I simply replied "I just have". I always recommend that tosh is reserved for the Crem. So does the Priest. :D

R

I find that very disappointing indeed. The church exists, first and foremost, for people; whether you believe or whether you don't, it's possible for us all to unite around that and recognise the good it's possible to achieve. Those within the church community (and the word church refers to people, not bricks and mortar) have a moral, spiritual and biblical duty to reach out to all those without.

To tell people, scornfully or otherwise, that what is special to them is not welcome and cannot be accomodated because it doesn't conform to your own presupposition of what is correct instantly alienates them from the church - or rather, the church from them. (And what on earth is wrong with singing a Spiritual, anyway?)

Why should crematoria and registry offices have exclusive rights over making people feel cared for and accomodated? If you put ritual and correctness and proprietry over concerns of humanity, spirituality and community, then perhaps the Freemasons are for you.

I find that very disappointing indeed. The church exists, first and foremost, for people; whether you believe or whether you don't, it's possible for us all to unite around that and recognise the good it's possible to achieve. Those within the church community (and the word church refers to people, not bricks and mortar) have a moral, spiritual and biblical duty to reach out to all those without.

To tell people, scornfully or otherwise, that what is special to them is not welcome and cannot be accomodated because it doesn't conform to your own presupposition of what is correct instantly alienates them from the church - or rather, the church from them. (And what on earth is wrong with singing a Spiritual, anyway?)

Why should crematoria and registry offices have exclusive rights over making people feel cared for and accomodated? If you put ritual and correctness and proprietry over concerns of humanity, spirituality and community, then perhaps the Freemasons are for you.

Well said David.

A

Hear, hear!

I agree: hear, hear.

Although if "Swing low" is to be performed because it's a rugby song - then I'm not so keen, though I'd do it.

If it's as a spiritual then it's highly appropriate, even if, for me, it's not quite up there with the B minor Mass as a musical experience.

I would be surprised if they had the Kingsfold tune in mind when they requested "I heard the voice" - I bet they're after the one in G minor

Entirely dependent on the church, I think - we've always sung Kingsfold until trying Vox Dilecti for the hell of it last year. On balance I think that Vox Dilecti (first two lines in G minor, then two in G major) is sufficiently cheesy that RVW was right not to even admit it to the Chamber of Horrors. But each to their own.

As for the other one, I've always known it as Jesus Wants Me For A Mungbean...