Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Music - A Real Find!

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

I've just been looking through some music I've just bought written by Rachel Laurin, a Canadian composer. It's quite superb stuff, and to a degree not of it's time, sounding much older and more mature. Pieces worth looking at are:

Suite Breve Op 6 Volumes 1 & 2

Quatre Pelerinages en Lorraine Op 30

Prelude & Fugue in F Minor

I love this stuff, very impressionistic and enjoyable to play, with strong tunes, lush harmonies, imaginative and effective writing. The Suite Breve has some really beautiful stuff in it. Most of the music can be bought through UMP and the P & F from Wayne Leupold.

Hector

Perhaps we could add onto this thread other new pieces of music that we've found that deserve wider attention?

If so, can I start with this piece by Jon Kristian Fjellestad, a Norwegian organist who is now 25. In style it is very similiar to the Toccata from Bolleman's Suite Gothique, and has gone down well with my congregation. This is a legal download (!)

http://www.einarfagerheim.com/jffj/files/toccata_5.pdf

I'd second Hector's recommendation of Rachel Laurin's music. She participated at the 2007 Annual Festival of New Organ Music in London and performed at both St Marylebone Parish Church and St Lawrence Jewry. For those looking for a vehicle to demonstrate their technical prowess (and a large instrument!) try her Etude Héroïque Op38.

The AFNOM website is a treasure-trove of information about contemporary composers and their music for organ. For instance, there's a short biography of Rachel Laurin, and programme notes and mp3 recordings of the works she performed in London.

Rachel Laurin is absolutely charming, without airs and graces, and both a fine composer and organist. It's surprising that she hasn't been invited to play more frequently in the UK.

Regards,

Oscar

I had a wonderful conversation with Rachel at the 2008 American Guild of Organists Convention - she is indeed a gifted composer as well as an amazing performer and a kind and humble person. I've since corresponded with her a number of times, and she has been most helpful to give me information about her compositions, recently of note, she has written her first Symphonie for organ, and is currently working on a 2nd (!)

She also introduced me to the music of her colleague Edith Beaulieu, who has also written a wonderful Symphonie, parts of which remind me very much of Vierne (short clips available HERE )

It is wonderful to see these composers getting recognition - they are talented for sure.

BR

-G

I've just been looking through some music I've just bought written by Rachel Laurin, a Canadian composer. It's quite superb stuff, and to a degree not of it's time, sounding much older and more mature. Pieces worth looking at are:

I love this stuff, very impressionistic and enjoyable to play, with strong tunes, lush harmonies, imaginative and effective writing. The Suite Breve has some really beautiful stuff in it. Most of the music can be bought through UMP and the P & F from Wayne Leupold.

Hector

Perhaps we could add onto this thread other new pieces of music that we've found that deserve wider attention?

If so, can I start with this piece by Jon Kristian Fjellestad, a Norwegian organist who is now 25. In style it is very similiar to the Toccata from Bolleman's Suite Gothique, and has gone down well with my congregation. This is a legal download (!)

http://www.einarfagerheim.com/jffj/files/toccata_5.pdf

There is a free mp3 download of this played by David M Patrick @ Gloucester Cathedral here http://www.last.fm/music/Jon+Kristian+Fjel...Cathedral+Organ