Mander Organ Builders Forum

A New Organ For Canterbury Cathedral?

pcnd5584

I have just received a copy of the new catalogue from Priory.

The second paragraph contains an interesting statement: "...where you will see for the first and last time the organ, soon to be replaced by a new instrument."

I was aware that there had been discussion for some time concerning the rebuilding of the Willis/Mander instrument (and the possibility of providing another instrument in the nave). However, I was surprised to learn that the existing organ is to be replaced - I wonder if whoever wrote the copy actually meant that?

A cursory search of the internet has shed no further light on the matter, so I would be interested to learn from any board members what is happening - if, in fact, anything is actually known yet.

The second paragraph contains an interesting statement: "...where you will see for the first and last time the organ, soon to be replaced by a new instrument."

I was aware that there had been discussion for some time concerning the rebuilding of the Willis/Mander instrument (and the possibility of providing another instrument in the nave). However, I was surprised to learn that the existing organ is to be replaced - I wonder if whoever wrote the copy actually meant that?

A cursory search of the internet has shed no further light on the matter, so I would be interested to learn from any board members what is happening - if, in fact, anything is actually known yet.

PM sent.

Guest Roffensis
My understanding of the situation is that the plans call for the existing organ to be enlarged back to 4 manuals and returned to a more "Willis" sound. Phase 2 is the construction of a new largish Nave organ.

That is my understanding also, one hopes.

R

PM sent.

Intriguing! :P:D