Mander Organ Builders Forum

Recording Of Organ

Rohrflöte

Hello. Long-time (on-and-off) visitor, first-time poster.

I've recently been asked whether our organ can be recorded for use in a film soundtrack. Does anyone know what one should charge for this sort of thing? They just want use of the building and instrument.

I've been thrown a bone in the past for playing for weddings etc. on Midsomer Murders, and I know that fees for location filming can go into four figures, but I've no prior experience with this. Does anyone else? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello. Long-time (on-and-off) visitor, first-time poster.

I've recently been asked whether our organ can be recorded for use in a film soundtrack. Does anyone know what one should charge for this sort of thing? They just want use of the building and instrument.

I've been thrown a bone in the past for playing for weddings etc. on Midsomer Murders, and I know that fees for location filming can go into four figures, but I've no prior experience with this. Does anyone else? Any advice would be appreciated.

I have no experience with this sort of thing either, but I'd guess that there will be an accountant somewhere in their organisation who will be trying to limit costs. However, if they want to use your church rather than, say, the RAH they will be saving a considerable sum even if you charge them £5000 (I'm guessing here, but I'm sure you get the idea). If you can offer them peace and quiet and no interference by services, cleaners, choirpractices etc then it's probably worth a few more quid. I'd be tempted to think of a number and double it :rolleyes:

Seriously, if they are simply making an audio recording then you can probably use recording studio rates - ok, you haven't got any built-in digital recording equipment, but recording studios generally don't have church organs so it's pretty even. Probably something in the region of £100 ph, but you would have to ensure that the organ is in tune and in perfect working order.

Good luck.