Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ebenezer Baptist Church Coseley

basdav

Yesterday I was asked to play for a funeral service at this church, I had looked the details up on NPOR, its had been built by a builder who I've not heard of Stephenson of Birmingham. Has anyone heard of this builder?

I arrived at the church and looked for the organ, I was informed use the digital keyboard, on enquiring about the pipe organ the Minister pointed to the west wall and said its in a gallery up there, but weve had a false ceiling fitted. He took me into the gallery and what a mess this poor little organ was standing there covered in builders dust and rubble. I wonder how many other instruments have ended up like this?

Yesterday I was asked to play for a funeral service at this church, I had looked the details up on NPOR, its had been built by a builder who I've not heard of Stephenson of Birmingham. Has anyone heard of this builder?

I arrived at the church and looked for the organ, I was informed use the digital keyboard, on enquiring about the pipe organ the Minister pointed to the west wall and said its in a gallery up there, but weve had a false ceiling fitted. He took me into the gallery and what a mess this poor little organ was standing there covered in builders dust and rubble. I wonder how many other instruments have ended up like this?

Hi

Pleaselet NPOR know so that we can update the records. Interestingly, NPOR has no record for Stephenson, which probably means he wasn't in business prior to 1950. It's not a builder that I've come across.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

Pleaselet NPOR know so that we can update the records. Interestingly, NPOR has no record for Stephenson, which probably means he wasn't in business prior to 1950. It's not a builder that I've come across.

Every Blessing

Tony

I have done Tony, NPOR gives a date I think around 1920.

Hope your getting better

Barrie

If the church didn't want it then why didn't they sell it before having the work done,. rather than fitting a false ceiling and leaving it covered for eternity? The organ should be sold to someone who will do it up. As for the person who decided that the organ should be permanently covered up......... :rolleyes:

Dave

Guest Patrick Coleman
And some might say too few! It depends on which ones you are thinking about.

Your heap of junk is someone else's heavenly chorus. And if not now, then certainly when fashions change (again).

Too many. :rolleyes:

Hi

Sadly, especially in Baptist Churches. It's an issue that some of us are doing what we can to redress, but the local church meeting is the place where decisions are made - there's no requirement to take external advice on issues like this, unless it happens to be a listed building.

Very sad, and in my opinion, very short sighted.

Every Blessing

Tony

P.S. for those who are interested, I had my op on Friday - back home same day, and so far no major problems.