Mander Organ Builders Forum

Badly Positioned Organs

SinaL

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The organ occupies the whole of the north transept with the console between the front pipes and the choir stalls. The choir organ used to be where the console is today but was moved back into the main instrument in the 50s rebuild. R&D updated the console with a new solid state capture system in 1988.

How about the fine instrument in St Mary's Beverley? Wonderful to play and hear at the console (about 5 ft from the front pipes) but a great deal of sound is lost 1/3 of the way down the nave. I have very fond memories of this instrument having learnt on it. It has one of the most thrilling 16foot reeds l have ever heard. Also enclosed tubas at 16,8, and 4foot pitches (not extended) which with the box shut could be added to the swell to create a seemingly never ending crescendo. I would be very interested to hear others oppinions on this instrument.

William Northmore

I remember this instrument in the early 1950's when Eric Bell was organist there (Simon Bell's grandfather). In fact I was once given a personal demonstration of its capabilities by Eric's predecessor, Harold Malkin, who was then in his 90's. My word he could play. Since then the availability of funds for its upkeep have somewhat diminished and I don't think it's in such good nick these days. I last heard it played by Cynic (PD) a couple of years ago when he made it sound really good. It's had a few emminent organ builders look after it in its day, notably Forster & Andrews and T C Lewis.

Since the console and solid state were put in place things have been very reliable. During my time on the choir just after R&Ds work it was an emotional time to hear the 4f tuba clarion for the first time in nearly a decade. John Walls was the R&D tuner who looked after it after the last major work was done and it certainly sounded well then. The spec is a strange one with lots of pedal mutations and a pedal reed at 32 16 8 4 and 2 ft. Also no reeds on the great but a 2 huge mixtures. On paper it so should not work, but in the flesh it works very well indeed!! How many other parish church organs boast 4 swell strings, 16, 8, 4 tubas (not extended) beautifull Forster and Andrews AND Lewis stops??? Maybe the one of the closest contenders is Holy Trinity Hull????