Mander Organ Builders Forum

If You Won The Lottery...

Vox Humana

Anyone tempted by this?

Notable features include: 32p stops on nearly every division (!?)

Three 64p stops on the pedal (!!!?????)

and for anyone who wants to be deafened in style the Last Trumpet 8p, on 200" pressure, will definately be the last trumpet you ever hear... :lol:

JA

Oh

my

God.

Are these people serious?

I wonder how it is being funded - or perhaps, why it is being funded....

:blink:

B)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The G.O. Mixture - why? The Tierce rank (when it was present) usually dropped out after the first twelve notes, at which point it became a quint mixture. In any case, I doubt that it was much use in the bass."

Unlike Southwark, here I can speak from extensive first-hand experience. The tierce in the bass is genius, it sets off the whole chorus, and especially gives the trumpet enormous drive in the bass.

"Oh

my

God.

I wonder how it is being funded - or perhaps, why it is being funded...."

Stephen Bicknell said he couldn't believe the number of people who asked him for directions to St Gladys de la Croix. I hope you'll forgive my wry smile at your reaction...

Bazuin

"The G.O. Mixture - why? The Tierce rank (when it was present) usually dropped out after the first twelve notes, at which point it became a quint mixture. In any case, I doubt that it was much use in the bass."

Unlike Southwark, here I can speak from extensive first-hand experience. The tierce in the bass is genius, it sets off the whole chorus, and especially gives the trumpet enormous drive in the bass.

How does it set off the whole chorus? This phrase needs amplification. Personally, when I have encountered it (and it was not always present) I found it mildly irritating. Neither did I find that it gave the bass of the 8ft. reed 'enormous drive'; (Hill generally favoured posaunes over trumpets for his G.O. reeds, incidentally). These reeds were often voiced on a slightly higher pressure than the fluework, usually 125mm.

"Oh

my

God.

I wonder how it is being funded - or perhaps, why it is being funded...."

Stephen Bicknell said he couldn't believe the number of people who asked him for directions to St Gladys de la Croix. I hope you'll forgive my wry smile at your reaction...

Bazuin

Good for you...

In the first instance, perhaps you had not worked through quite such a tiring day as I had. Secondly, I still find it hard to understand why anyone would waste the time and energy in posting such a large non-existent scheme....

In any case, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that somewhere in the U.S., someone is planning yet another very large instrument - with sections strewn over a wide area. After all, we have had the Sowerby Memorial Swell Organ (together with several other sections) - why not the Ethel Merman Tribute Solo Organ?

I can think of a few organs in the U.S. which may not be as large as this scheme, nevertheless are probably considerably larger than they need to be.

There appears to be no provision for a small portable chamber organ on which to accompany the Gibbons Verse Service.

Your wish is my command....

MANUAL

Stopped Diapason 8

Unda Maris (Undulant) 8

Principal 4

Nason Flute 4

Flageolet 2

Sesquialtera (19-24/12-17) II

Not very interesting, though....

Your wish is my command....

MANUAL

Stopped Diapason 8

Unda Maris (Undulant) 8

Principal 4

Nason Flute 4

Flageolet 2

Sesquialtera (19-24/12-17) II

Not very interesting, though....

Why ????

Here is a slightly different version:

Open Diapason 8'

Voce umana 8'

Stopped Diapason 8'

Principal 4'

Nason Flute 4'

Twelfth 2 2/3'

Fifteenth 2'

Sesquialtera 2r 1 1/3'- 4/5'- 2 2/3'- 1 3/5'

Pierre

Why ????

Here is a slightly different version:

Open Diapason 8'

Voce umana 8'

Stopped Diapason 8'

Principal 4'

Nason Flute 4'

Twelfth 2 2/3'

Fifteenth 2'

Sesquialtera 2r 1 1/3'- 4/5'- 2 2/3'- 1 3/5'

Pierre

But there is no chamade, no 32ft. reed...

and no mini-bar in a console recess....

Neither did I find that it gave the bass of the 8ft. reed 'enormous drive'; (Hill generally favoured posaunes over trumpets for his G.O. reeds, incidentally). These reeds were often voiced on a slightly higher pressure than the fluework, usually 125mm.

The majority of the Hill instruments I have encountered have been mechanical action, with only one wind pressure throughout. In virtaully all cases the Great reed, if present, has been called Trumpet, and in most cases the Mixture has had a tierce in the bass which does indeed set the trumpet off spectacularly.

The majority of the Hill instruments I have encountered have been mechanical action, with only one wind pressure throughout. In virtaully all cases the Great reed, if present, has been called Trumpet, and in most cases the Mixture has had a tierce in the bass which does indeed set the trumpet off spectacularly.

If you have found this, David, fair enough. Equally fair enough, I have found the opposite to be true. In any case, Bazuin stated that the tierce in the bass set off the whole chorus - not the [bass of the] reed. I can think of a few instruments by Hill in which the G.O. reed was named 'Trumpet' - but I can recall far more where the term 'Posaune' was adopted. However, this is really nothing more than semantics, after all.

Out of interest, what music were you performing which required you to play in the lowest octave of the G.O. clavier?

If I'd won the lottery I would do the following:

1. Donate to the British Heart Foundation

2. Donate to the Liverpool Cathedral organ fund

3. Get St Georgy Hall done too!

4. Set up a new and hopefully better British Organbuilding Institute that is geared to encourage younger members to join and partake in events FREE OF CHARGE until the age of 30. I would also encourage those firms who qualify as members to support and make available various courses in carpentry, electrician work and marketing and any other aspect of the Organbuilding trade. The institute would also allow funding for trainee organ builders to be paid a decent wage (I wasn't) and extra funding to travel in order to experience different cultures in organbuilding - have many of us has stepped inside a Cavaillé-Coll? As a result of this it would secure the future of organbuilding in the British Isles in the way in which we can be equally compared to the rest of Europe and the USA.

5. If I have enough left over I might get myself a pint of Real Ale - www.camra.org.uk for those who are interested!

Guest Roffensis
Oh

my

God.

I wonder how it is being funded - or perhaps, why it is being funded....

;)

B)

When one thinks of the many very fine and unique organs eg RFH, AP, SGH, Selby Abbey to mention just three that should all be fully restored and which lack funds to do so, one feels a real sense of loss for words. When I see such abominations and over indulgent specifications , I see a gross waste of money.

I thought we had moved on from these huge overblown foghorns masquerading as organs, and how much consideration is given to how they will be restored in the future? Think of the future outlays involved. As to wind pressures, well no comment.

It's funny. I was taught not how many stops to draw and get away with, but how few. I was lucky, as I had a good teacher. If you put me in front of say Atlantic City Hall (another over large liability with as much musicality as the QE2 IMHO) I would not thank you for it. I would not bother with it, or its like. Music should always come first, not gimmickry and the "ours is bigger than yours" mentality.

Some of my favourite organs are Rotherhithe, Liverpool Met, Canterbury, Hereford, RFH, Gloucester, Brompton Oratory, Wimborne, Romsey, Chichester etc, and in all cases they are musical instruments quite different from each other, but with voices that speak with clarity and colour and are all immensely musical. I seriously believe we are again losing our way. The 60/70s "back to Bach" ideal has largely petered out, to be replaced by the hideous Edwardian era of loud, loud and more loud. Big and bigger.

Why?

R

Guest Roffensis
Liverpool Cathedral

H

Oh YES, indeed, and how. But back to 1960 please. The 1960 job? Magnificent!! Glorious even!! B)

One hopes ;)

R

When one thinks of the many very fine and unique organs eg RFH, AP, SGH, Selby Abbey to mention just three that should all be fully restored and which lack funds to do so, one feels a real sense of loss for words. When I see such abominations and over indulgent specifications , I see a gross waste of money.

Why?

It's a joke, Roffensis.

If I'd won the lottery I would do the following:

1. Donate to the British Heart Foundation

2. Donate to the Liverpool Cathedral organ fund

3. Get St Georgy Hall done too!

4. Set up a new and hopefully better British Organbuilding Institute that is geared to encourage younger members to join and partake in events FREE OF CHARGE until the age of 30. I would also encourage those firms who qualify as members to support and make available various courses in carpentry, electrician work and marketing and any other aspect of the Organbuilding trade. The institute would also allow funding for trainee organ builders to be paid a decent wage (I wasn't) and extra funding to travel in order to experience different cultures in organbuilding - have many of us has stepped inside a Cavaillé-Coll? As a result of this it would secure the future of organbuilding in the British Isles in the way in which we can be equally compared to the rest of Europe and the USA.

5. If I have enough left over I might get myself a pint of Real Ale - www.camra.org.uk for those who are interested!

I agree with the list but I would also include Cancer research.

Providing money for restoration of the nominated instruments would depend very much on which organ builder was chosen to undertake the work.

If the people involved with the nominated organs were insisting on a particular organ builder I did not approve of, for various reasons then sorry, no money. I feel that I would have that right.

Colin Richell.

Perhaps the contributors who have vented their spleens at St Gladys de la Croix might like to read the whole story?

Part the First:

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...G-L&P=R9321

Part the Second:

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...-L&P=R10667

Part the Third:

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...-L&P=R11049

Part the Fourth:

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...-L&P=R11486

and some fantastic postscripts:

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...G-L&P=R4932

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...G-L&P=R5766

http://list.uiowa.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=in...G-L&P=R6931

I hope this truly brilliant work of organ fiction brightens up your day!

Bazuin