Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Psalter

David Coram

Most people I have spoken to, who have seen only the leaflet or the on-line publicity, have taken a cursory dislike to it, particularly the sample pointing, but on the other hand pointing and choice of chants is an intensely personal thing. I gather it is designed to help, especially very young, choristers understand what they are singing about (whoever knew what "that Leviathan" was, or why the maidens were playing with their timbrels?) and I can see that this may well be the kind of thing that would greatly help David in his position of rebuilding boys' and girls' choirs at his church.

Does anyone have copy of the whole thing and has anyone actually used it yet? I should be most interested to hear how it works in practice. Do adult choristers like it?

Malcolm

Most people I have spoken to, who have seen only the leaflet or the on-line publicity, have taken a cursory dislike to it, particularly the sample pointing

Seems fair enough to me. One is entitled to expect that an advertisement accurately reflects the product.

Personally I don't find the pointing too objectionable, but don't get me started on the home-grown chant printed in the brochure. I agree that the explanatory glosses are likely to be useful.

Seems fair enough to me. One is entitled to expect that an advertisement accurately reflects the product.

Personally I don't find the pointing too objectionable, but don't get me started on the home-grown chant printed in the brochure. I agree that the explanatory glosses are likely to be useful.

Ah, the chant for Psalm 23... yes, I hadn't seen that until after you pointed it out. It is a bit of a surprise, isn't it?

The other musical editor (not the one who wrote the chant) is the person responsible for introducing me to the organ, so I was initially biased by that - I also liked the use of a triple chant, and there were several bits of pointing I thought were exceptionally good (though I did want to change a few things).

I plan to get a full copy, and will then decide whether to get another 29...