Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Aubertin In Denmark

Nigel Allcoat

I have just acquired PHOTOS and the SPECIFICATION of the new Organ by Bernard in the wonderful Abbey Church of Mariager in Jutland. All is due to be finished in May next year. These are pictures taken on the recent visit by the organist and friends in the Courtefontaine workshops. Danish traditions/architects have dictated a few novel features!

Best wishes,

Nigel

'Looks good!

A

I have just acquired PHOTOS and the SPECIFICATION of the new Organ by Bernard in the wonderful Abbey Church of Mariager in Jutland. All is due to be finished in May next year. These are pictures taken on the recent visit by the organist and friends in the Courtefontaine workshops. Danish traditions/architects have dictated a few novel features!

Best wishes,

Nigel

Looks - and will doubtless sound - magnificent. The Naumburg/Hildebrandt influence clearly discernible again, as at St-Louis-en-l'Ile.

JS

• 1 month later...
Guest Patrick Coleman

Not being a technical expert, I had hoped perhaps to learn as much from this new thread as I did from the Oxford one. Clearly that is not to be. :lol:

Would you expect Marks and Spencer to pay for an advertisement by Waitrose?

I find threads about new instruments and photos of the work in progress very interesting. I enjoyed watching the progress of the Tickell organ at Worcester, the Klais at Leeds, and the St Martin instrument at Petersham. I'm unclear why the new Aubertin in Denmark has caused a problem. Photos of all these instrument give me a chance to see things that I wouldn't normally see and thereby increase my understanding and appreciation of what goes into the making of a modern organ.

Nigel's enthusiasm for Aubertin instruments is widely known, yet his postings are factual, without purple prose and unnecessary gushing. He is one of the most kindly and wise members of the Mander forum and I hope this is simply a one-off curbing of his contributions. It would be very sad to see him depart, along with the much-missed Cynic.

Regards

Oscar

Topic and mention deleted at the request of Mander Organs

Yes, I have to agree, although I do not know what might have caused offence it’s a pity there has been a deletion. If you establish a medium for news and comment, which the Mander Forum is, you have to do it with an essential element of altruism. Providing submissions do not include anything that is slanderous or defames you have to be prepared to wear an altruistic hat.

Mander provide this resource at their expense. It is up to them whether they allow it to be used to discuss competitors' work, and they have been quite generous in this regard - but it is easy to see how their patience might be tried. By comparison, for instance, the Hauptwerk forums are completely strict in not allowing discussion which is not related to Hauptwerk itself.

Paul

the Hauptwerk forums are completely strict in not allowing discussion which is not related to Hauptwerk itself.

Paul

Paul,

Would it not be slightly more accurate to say that the HW Forum strictly disallows discussion of other similar, competing, products?

They seem to be fairly relaxed about other topics not directly related to HW.

Regards,

Douglas.

I find threads about new instruments and photos of the work in progress very interesting. I enjoyed watching the progress of the Tickell organ at Worcester, the Klais at Leeds, and the St Martin instrument at Petersham. I'm unclear why the new Aubertin in Denmark has caused a problem. Photos of all these instrument give me a chance to see things that I wouldn't normally see and thereby increase my understanding and appreciation of what goes into the making of a modern organ.

Nigel's enthusiasm for Aubertin instruments is widely known, yet his postings are factual, without purple prose and unnecessary gushing. He is one of the most kindly and wise members of the Mander forum and I hope this is simply a one-off curbing of his contributions. It would be very sad to see him depart, along with the much-missed Cynic.

Regards

Oscar

I agree with the comments about seeing new organs like Worcester etc. I also agree about Nigel's enthusiasm and also his common sense.

However I am not happy in the way Mander Organs have treated this posting. It seems that the initial posting was so powerful that it caused offence to Mander Organs and how does one know what the person said when the post has been deleted? That seems rather unfair to me. I've read over and over again the guidelines of the Mander forum and I can not see why they would just willy nilly delete a post without justification. There is a sentence saying

"The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary".

So who was the person who found it necessary to delete this post?

It goes on to say that " We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so", but it does not say that it has a legal right!

The "guidelines" also go on to say "This discussion forum is to be used only for non-commercial purposes. Participants may not solicit funds, promote commercial entities or otherwise engage in commercial activity in the forum." Well what about Worcester Cathedral, Youtube films and the latest one "Classic FM Hall of Fame, Your chance to show that the organ really matters - There's plenty of organ music on the list at http://www.classicfmhalloffame.co.uk/#votingForm and what better way to get ourselves and the organ heard."! (apologies to Nick Bennett for use of his link!) Oh and another one "Recitals, Alert your fellow organists!".

All these are in breach of the above clause, but have Mander organs deleted them ? Of course not!

Next one is this :-

Forum Misuse Policy:

* 1st Offence

A polite Private Message from a Moderator pointing out the Forum Rules, in addition to the editing or deletion of the post

* 2nd Offence

Public warning on the message board plus deletion of post

* 3rd Offence

Moderators will delete the user from the Mander Organs forum,

Depending on the situation, Moderators may bypass any and all of these steps and take whatever action is deemed appropriate.

I have to ask this did the person in question receive a polite message or did Mander Organs just jump to No.2 and publicly humiliate the said person? They seem to be contradicting their own clauses.

I'm sorry to have ignited in this field but I have found that no matter how against the guidelines one might be it is of the mood of the Mander forum if such a person should be deleted or not.

Are Mander organs really being fair?

p.s I'm copying this just in case it gets deleted!!

I agree with the comments about seeing new organs like Worcester etc. I also agree about Nigel's enthusiasm and also his common sense.

However I am not happy in the way Mander Organs have treated this posting. It seems that the initial posting was so powerful that it caused offence to Mander Organs and how does one know what the person said when the post has been deleted? That seems rather unfair to me. I've read over and over again the guidelines of the Mander forum and I can not see why they would just willy nilly delete a post without justification. There is a sentence saying

"The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary".

So who was the person who found it necessary to delete this post?

It goes on to say that " We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so", but it does not say that it has a legal right!

The "guidelines" also go on to say "This discussion forum is to be used only for non-commercial purposes. Participants may not solicit funds, promote commercial entities or otherwise engage in commercial activity in the forum." Well what about Worcester Cathedral, Youtube films and the latest one "Classic FM Hall of Fame, Your chance to show that the organ really matters - There's plenty of organ music on the list at http://www.classicfmhalloffame.co.uk/#votingForm and what better way to get ourselves and the organ heard."! (apologies to Nick Bennett for use of his link!) Oh and another one "Recitals, Alert your fellow organists!".

All these are in breach of the above clause, but have Mander organs deleted them ? Of course not!

Next one is this :-

Forum Misuse Policy:

* 1st Offence

A polite Private Message from a Moderator pointing out the Forum Rules, in addition to the editing or deletion of the post

* 2nd Offence

Public warning on the message board plus deletion of post

* 3rd Offence

Moderators will delete the user from the Mander Organs forum,

Depending on the situation, Moderators may bypass any and all of these steps and take whatever action is deemed appropriate.

I have to ask this did the person in question receive a polite message or did Mander Organs just jump to No.2 and publicly humiliate the said person? They seem to be contradicting their own clauses.

I'm sorry to have ignited in this field but I have found that no matter how against the guidelines one might be it is of the mood of the Mander forum if such a person should be deleted or not.

Are Mander organs really being fair?

p.s I'm copying this just in case it gets deleted!!

My, my! :unsure:

I don't think that most of your points are directly applicable to this case. Mander Organs provide this fascinating forum at their own expense. Whilst it's very interesting to read threads about new organs, at the end of the day you have to remember that Manders is a commercial concern who have already generously allowed considerable 'publicity' for other organ builders and their work (the threads about the other Aubertin and Worcester Cathedral spring instantly to mind). Whilst these threads have been most interesting to read, I must confess to having felt a pang of guilt when contributing to them as we are, by doing so, promoting the work of competitors.

The moderators have the ability to delete posts and entire threads. They obviously have decided, in this case, to request that this thread isn't further promoted by the OP. They certainly haven't 'publicly' humiliated the OP nor - as far as I'm aware - deleted him! They have also allowed the links given by the OP, when quoted by others, to remain in situ, so we can still view the photographs.

Whilst no doubt this would have been an interesting thread, and I'm sorry to see it pass, in answer to your final question, and for the reasons I've given, yes, I think that Manders are being fair and reasonable and I understand their reasoning.

Guest Patrick Coleman
It would be very sad to see him depart, along with the much-missed Cynic.

Paul has asked me to pass on these words, for the sake of those who think he is no more!

Cynic says he has not gone, it's that he has to remain in the sin bin for another eight months! He still reads the forum but cannot post or send/receive messages.

Just a though: Why are there nobody from the United Kingdom busy,

on the french forum, to promote the british organs and their builders ?

An open, free market is never a one-way road !

Instead, we do this promotion ourselves, and anything new in the Portfolio

of Mander and others is systematically forwarded and discussed on Organographia.

And the interest is there, at least on behalf of the players. Any british organ

(new or used) on the continent attracts crowds of them.

Maybe YOU could help, ladies and gentlemen. Do it both ways, and things

will run smoother.

Pierre