Mander Organ Builders Forum

Suggestions For Voluntary For End Of 9 Lessons

martin_greenwood

Ones that I think I would consider using were I in your situation:

- JS Bach: Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland, BWV 661

- JS Bach: Wachet auf! Ruft uns die Stimme, BWV 645

Two good choices.

... If you want something quite grand then the improvisation on Adeste Fideles that we had in Bristol Cathedral after the 9 Lessons and Carols in, I think, 2007 (it may have been 2008) was spectacular - earned raptuous aplause to the organist playing (Paul Walton, IIRC) - buit may be too much preparation to get it ready now.

Dave

Do you mean a transcription of a Cochereau improvisation? I think this has been referred to already. I presume you do - it would be difficult to prepare another organist's improvisation....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bédard: Postlude on "Il est né". (Also comes with a lovely prelude on the Huron Carol. (Get it from RSCM)

Quite right! I have been advocating this piece (the title is actually Toccata sur..) since about 2000 when I bought it from Charles Macdonald on his recommendation. How I miss Charles and his wonderful shop!

Do you mean a transcription of a Cochereau improvisation? I think this has been referred to already. I presume you do - it would be difficult to prepare another organist's improvisation....

Nah. He means DJB (the Sortie he wrote for Kings)

For the record and if memory serves:

2007 Nine Lessons, Cochereau Sortie sur Adeste fideles, 2007 Christmas Day Briggs Sortie on In dulci jubilo.

2008 Nine Lessons Cochereau Sortie sur Venez divin Messie, 2008 Christmas Day Guilmant March on a theme of Handel.

I'm considering the Saint-Martin Offertoire sur deux Noels for sometime this year - essentially the first movement of Vierne 2 with the thematic material replaced by two carols!

Paul

There will be no Christmas services for me as I will be returning to my native UK for two weeks of much needed rest over the the Christmas season!

However, the scheduled postludes for my last two services for 2009 are the Dupre 'Placare Christe Servulis' (though written for All Saints, it seems to fit the bill) and Nibelle 'Carillon on Puer Natus Est' (from the 50 Pieces).

However, I will be playing the aforementioned Carillon de Westminster at a recital later this month, which would seem an ideal choice of voluntary for such an occasion.

Perhaps also the Carillon by Herbert Murrill? I would have thought that was a piece that could be learnt in a week or two.

VA

Perhaps also the Carillon by Herbert Murrill? I would have thought that was a piece that could be learnt in a week or two.

And appropriate as Murrill was born 100 years ago this year. I have played this piece a lot in recitals this year, and it has gone down very well

If you only have two weeks to learn it, what about Viernes' Carillon du Longport?

I was about to point out that it's Longpont. Longpont is in the Aisne. Longport is in Stoke-on-Trent.

Then I remembered that Vierne did write Les Cloches de Hinckley, so Stoke-on-Trent may not be that far-fetched after all.

For the record and if memory serves:

2007 Nine Lessons, Cochereau Sortie sur Adeste fideles, 2007 Christmas Day Briggs Sortie on In dulci jubilo.

2008 Nine Lessons Cochereau Sortie sur Venez divin Messie, 2008 Christmas Day Guilmant March on a theme of Handel.

I'm considering the Saint-Martin Offertoire sur deux Noels for sometime this year - essentially the first movement of Vierne 2 with the thematic material replaced by two carols!

Paul

Cheers Paul. I will be along for the Nine Lessons this year as well as for the midnight service on 24th December and the Festival Eucharist on 25th December. Very much looking forward to the music as always so see you there.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Having proclaimed earlier that I would be doing BWV 729 after the carol service, I then didn't! We were doing a joint service with the Methodists in their church (but me playing) and they had an offering without a hymn so I figured the Bach at about 2 minutes would fit the offering quite well (and it did just that). I sent them home with Carillon de Westminster. Something in me does perhaps think that the Bach is a little bit brief for a big service postlude.

I know it's a bit late to mention it now, but the last movement from Malcolm Archer's A Little Suite for Organ, "Festive Peal", is a carillon with a very Christmassy sort of flavour and isn't difficult either, so long as you (1) don't mind E major and (2) have a sure aim with your feet for some simple arpeggios. About grade 6, I'd say. Published by the IAO.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have suggestions for a suitable voluntary for the end of 9 lessons, which will not require hours of preparation. As a guideline, I'm of aspiring ARCO standard.

Many thanks in advance!

Give them Burgon's 'Brideshead Revisited' they'll love it.

Does anyone have suggestions for a suitable voluntary for the end of 9 lessons, which will not require hours of preparation. As a guideline, I'm of aspiring ARCO standard.

Many thanks in advance!

Give them Burgon's 'Brideshead Revisited' they'll love it.

The famous Bach In Dulci Jubilo is short (2 or 3 pages) and quite easy to learn, with big stately chords and impressive cadenzas that lie nicely under the fingers. If you are of ARCO standard it should be a breeze: even if of lesser capability it shouldn't be difficult since the original is scored in two staves and could therefore be adapted for manuals only quite easily.

As it seems to be played at 99% of the carol services I've ever attended or listenedto on the radio, you might prefer something a little less common, in which case this thread has plenty of suggestions.

Have you thought about having two voluntaries?

In order to get 'em all out at the end of a packed carol service we use two concluding voluntaries - which then brings the advantage of being able to give everyone who wants the completely traditional their fix with In dulci jubilo (which would be too short on its own), and then something perhaps a bit more modern.

The second one would probably be a big-sounding 19thC piece, or something 21stC commissioned, if I can afford it. (A single movement, it's not an organ recital.)

It also gives the chance to offer In dulci to an assistant so they also get a concluding voluntary as part of their participation in the service.

[i know it's to some extent copying Kings - but theirs is a model which it's hard to beat, and the congregation for our main carol service contains a significant proportion of people for whom it's their only contact with the church during the course of the year.]

Yes, I would go with this. If it is a major event then two voluntaries wouldn't be out of the question.

If you do so and do BWV 729 first, I would follow it with something big and French (rather than more Bach) e.g.

Vierne 1/Vierne 6 finals / Carillon de Westminster (takes a while to get loud)

Widor Toccata

Widor 6 final - I don't find this one particularly interesting, although others seem to

Guilmant 1 final

Mulet Carillon-Sortie - this seems quite popular for Christmas

Not French, but the Mushel Toccata might be an alternative.

There are probably further suggestions up the thread.

If you want just one piece, then a bright Bach P&F would be suitable, or even the ubiquitous BWV 565, or any of the suggestions above.

If you can get away with it, you might use THIS as your second piece.... it's a b***er in a couple spots on the pedal, but my lot enjoyed it last year. If you don't mind a more modern piece, you could go with THIS

:D

Best, - G

where can one get the score for 'fuga a la noel' as posted by gwiro? A fine entertaining piece for the occasion! :D

Best wishes

David Wallace

I obtained a copy from girwo last year - he kindly sent me one after I sent him a PM. I suspect he'd be happy to do likewise if you wish.

I played the piece (admittedly with a minor simplification of some of the part-writing on the penultimate page) at the end of a Christingle service at my church. Very well-received it was, too! I might play it again this year.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Quick thought, since the service will be during Advent, how about Bach's Nun komm der Heiden Heiland, or for something longer a setting of the same chorale by Samuel Scheidt or Hieronymous Praetorius, although these are not easy. A further Chorale prelude suitable for Advent is Herr Christ der einige Gottes Sohn, with good settings, not too difficult, by Pachelbel and Johann Krieger. Failing that, a splendid tiento partido or batalla by the likes of Bruna, Rodriguez or Cabanilles - although these are very difficult they are well worth the effort in learning.