Mander Organ Builders Forum

Music For (organ ?) Tenor And Oboe

MAB

Dear all,

I hope you will excuse me if I amble slightly off piste as I believe the expression is.

I have been asked to prepare a lunchtime programme of around 40 minutes of music for keyboard (could be organ, piano or (electronic) harpsichord), tenor and oboe.

Obviously, there is a wealth of material for tenor alone, and oboe alone, and I have also found some Blake songs for Tenor and Oboe solo by RVW. These would be particularly appropriate as the concert is in my home town of Dorking, with it strong Vaughan Williams connections.

I would be very grateful, however, if anyone has any suggestions for pieces that might be appropriate, either straight or transcribed, for the trio. I am sure there must be a wealth of material in the Bach cantatas that would lend themselves to such treatment, but regret that I have only a passing knowledge of the cantatas (something I hope to remedy when I have the time ; a retirement project, perhaps).

All suggestions gratefully received !

Compliments of the season,

Mark

Dear all,

I hope you will excuse me if I amble slightly off piste as I believe the expression is.

I have been asked to prepare a lunchtime programme of around 40 minutes of music for keyboard (could be organ, piano or (electronic) harpsichord), tenor and oboe.

Obviously, there is a wealth of material for tenor alone, and oboe alone, and I have also found some Blake songs for Tenor and Oboe solo by RVW. These would be particularly appropriate as the concert is in my home town of Dorking, with it strong Vaughan Williams connections.

I would be very grateful, however, if anyone has any suggestions for pieces that might be appropriate, either straight or transcribed, for the trio. I am sure there must be a wealth of material in the Bach cantatas that would lend themselves to such treatment, but regret that I have only a passing knowledge of the cantatas (something I hope to remedy when I have the time ; a retirement project, perhaps).

All suggestions gratefully received !

Compliments of the season,

Mark

there's loads of suitable stuff in the cantatas

for example in the first 30 cantatas:

BWV 2/5 ( T, Oboe, orch)

BWV 4/4 (T, Solo, Bc)

BWV 5/3 (T, solo, Bc)

BWV 8/2 (T, Ob, Bc)

BWV 12/ 6 (T, Tr, Bc)

BWV 16/5 (T, Ob, Bc)

BWV 24/5 (T, Ob, Bc)

BWV 29/3 (T, solo, Bc)

Then there's odd movements from the passions, a certain chorale from BWV 140 (mvt 3), and extracts from Xmas, Easter or Ascension Oratorios

And if you want to give the oboe a rest, what about Leighton's 'These are Thy wonders'?