Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Christmas Oratorio From Sweden

AJJ

Fredrik Sixten writes refreshingly good organ and choral music - check this out and follow the links for the Christmas Oratorio (and more if you like it) - you can hear some too!

A

I'm playing the Finale from his Sonata in a recital in February and also as a voluntary in January. It's a Rondo and very good fun. It's not too tricky and has one of those themes which you find yourself humming around the house... His style seems fresh to me, there's nothing else I know quite like it. Clearly 'modern' but still tuneful and accessible.

P.

I'm playing the Finale from his Sonata in a recital in February and also as a voluntary in January. It's a Rondo and very good fun. It's not too tricky and has one of those themes which you find yourself humming around the house... His style seems fresh to me, there's nothing else I know quite like it. Clearly 'modern' but still tuneful and accessible.

P.

Paul,

I've just tried to send you a PM, but your inbox is full...

{Sorry for off-topic message!}

P

P.

His Tango is well worth playing too (even I can play that) as is his Postludio. (Sorry - 'plug' alert - article due in Feb. Organist's Review).

A

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Hector5

Many thanks for pointing me in this direction - I have ordered a pile of music from these publishers. Apart from Sixten - I have just received some sublime music by Gustav Haag and Erland von Koch. Haag's music is really beautiful and worth playing - sumptious and romantic. Koch's music is also very approachable, and he has written some seasonal pastorales which are all quite lovely, as well as other organ works. There is a recording of Haag's music available from Classics on Line. I'm waiting for my second set of Haag and will try them out on Sunday, remembering to supply the congregation with handkerchiefs and towels first!

Hector

Guest Hector5
Sorry - Have now found the link to Gehrmans Musikforlag but they don't seem to cover Gustav Haag. Whence is his music available?

Many thanks

Martin

Yes, it's a tricky site. After you've ticked the Union Jack, type 'organ' in the search engine and you will find a much wider selection. Enjoy!

Hector