Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Year, New Music?

Peter Clark

This is a time for resolutions - mine is to try to have two dry days every week. A questionable quest for an organist I admit but more importantly, have we all probably got a new and hitherto unplayed piece to be a new year project? Might be fun to say what it is and report on progress! I will offer as my (probably doomed) attempt the Bach F major T&F. I've only just got the Dupre C&L under my belt after a year so expect to hear from me in 2011 from the Hospital for Wrecked, Distressed and Damaged Organists. Yes , there must be one somewhere.

Peter

My resolution will be to try to remember the name of whatever I am working on.

I know what I wanted to say: it's the final piece in the blue shiny book that had one of my exam pieces in, and I can only remember the word 'postlude'. Not much help!

It will join the list headed by the Mendelssohn thingy, the Buxtehude and the Bach-in-Novello-Book 8-that-has-vanished-off-the-face-of-the-earth.

Can one resolve to have a better memory? If you can, that will be mine.

As mentioned elsewhere: Guilmant - Finale to No. 1

and I started the thread about the Cortege et Litanie last Advent, and will now finally get round to starting it!

These will be my two biggies for this quarter - I try to accomplish a few major additions to my rep each year. Hopefully, the Guilmant will be done by Easter, and Easter morning would be a fine time to give it its first performance! If not, there's always the Widor!

I really think its difficult to set specific targets though - you just have to see what you can manage really.

What a nice idea! If I publish it, I might get around to keeping to schedule. Immediate pieces on the list are (once I've finished off the Franck Prelude, Fugue and Variation and a small clutch of Parry Chorale preludes from his second book)

Toccata Chromatica - Ad Wammes

Gigue Fugue - JSB

Movmt 1 from Widor V

Schumann Fugues 6 & 3 on BACH

They should give me plenty to think about for the next few months!

Good luck with the Bach F major. It's not really that difficult but for those notorious trio sections, which come with practice. A steady pace is best - it's not a gigue but a passepied, which is slightly slower - don't feel you need to race it to outdo GTB. The fugue is a biggie - on a par with the D major BWV 532 - but very satisfying, esp. the final page, when Bach combines the two themes (I think it's Bach's only double fugue in the organ preludes and fugues). But the Toccata is addictive when you can play it...

And best of luck with Mendelssohn 4 - I thought it was a swine when I learnt it - esp. the first movement!

As I mentioned in another thread somewhere, I haven't been learning any large new works recently, but rather some shorter, less well-known pieces. Achille Philip or Henri Potiron anyone?

However, I have made a list of a few new pieces which are scheduled for 2010.

- Whitlock: Two Fantasie Chorals - probably will start with the D flat one - which is most accessible?

- Ibert: Trois Pieces

- Barie: Symphony (fabulous stuff, and not played nearly as often as it should)

- Jongen: Prelude and Fugue - looks surprisingly similar to the Saint Saens E flat Prelude and Fugue on paper!

VA

Well, I don't know about new music, but this year in May I celebrate 20 years of professional music ministry (and all but about 3 of those as a full-time church musician with that as my primary income!)

I'm seriously considering doing a concert in May to celebrate - it would be mostly organ, but also with piano, vocal and composition as those are also things that have figured prominently over the last years.

There are a LOT of things that I'd like to learn, but probably in 5 months not likely to happen....

<chuckle>

What a nice idea! If I publish it, I might get around to keeping to schedule. Immediate pieces on the list are (once I've finished off the Franck Prelude, Fugue and Variation and a small clutch of Parry Chorale preludes from his second book)

Toccata Chromatica - Ad Wammes

Gigue Fugue - JSB

Movmt 1 from Widor V

Schumann Fugues 6 & 3 on BACH

They should give me plenty to think about for the next few months!

Good luck with the Bach F major. It's not really that difficult but for those notorious trio sections, which come with practice. A steady pace is best - it's not a gigue but a passepied, which is slightly slower - don't feel you need to race it to outdo GTB. The fugue is a biggie - on a par with the D major BWV 532 - but very satisfying, esp. the final page, when Bach combines the two themes (I think it's Bach's only double fugue in the organ preludes and fugues). But the Toccata is addictive when you can play it...

And best of luck with Mendelssohn 4 - I thought it was a swine when I learnt it - esp. the first movement!

Thanks for the encouragement! Incidentally when The Great Dame played it as her opener for the inaugural recital st St Peter's Cardiff she only played the Toccata, deeming this to be historically accurate no doubt.

I love the Ad Wanmmes Toccata Chromatica - one of those great pieces which unfortunately sounds a lot easier than it is - and you can detect Wammes' background as a rock musician in parts of the work. I started this when I found Miroir to be a swine (do you play it?).

Incdidentally Wammes is a very nice and encourging man. When I ordered the Toccata from him he wrote a nice note on the inside cover and wished be success with learning it.

Peter

Well, after my thread last year on music and dance I'm aiming to finish off learning:

-Lemare: Fantasia

-Hollins: Concert Minuet (that's not the exact title)

-Elmore: Rhythmic Suite

-Rawsthorne: Dance Suite

(and possibly Fanfares and Dances by Paul Spicer after hearing the excellent Sharpe/Truro disc)

...to go with various other dance-related pieces.