Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bethlehem Down

handsoff

I caught a few minutes of Radio 4's morning service broadcast from Dublin and a new arrangement by David Hill of Peter Warlock's carol was performed. It amalgamated the original unaccompanied setting and and the solo version with organ. The effect was rather beautiful with none of the charm of the original being lost and with some luscious harmonies for the organ.

A bit late for this year but maybe someone would like to look it out for next time.

{OK, it's probably been around for a while and I'm the only person not to have heard it...}

David Hill's arrangement of Bethlehem Down is on page 20 of "Noel! 2" published by Novello. The notes say it combines Warlock's own two versions and that every note is by Warlock.

Whilst I currently do not have a church post so do not really have to worry about such things, it is a strange irony that I only became aware of two new carol books after Christmas. One was "Noel! 2" and the other was "Christmas At Kings College". Both are published by novello. I immediately ordered both from Musicroom and they arrived almost by return of post. Both have very useful and interesting content. Well worth buying.

Malcolm

I heard this on the Radio a couple of years back and done a DIY copy. It works so well, and does provide a bit of interest rather than hearing the same harmonies twice as every verse is now different! I'll have to get a copy of Mr. Hills "Proper" Version