Mander Organ Builders Forum

Good Quote...

passion_chorale

Can he cite an occasion on which the audience were physically laughing at his conclusion of Beethoven's sonata op 31 no 1? Incidentally, in the same article he states his lack of sympathy with the music of Rachmaninov as relating to the latter's lack of invention: this coming from a man whose performing career consisted in a large part of the piano music of Beethoven, and nothing (or very little) contemporary.

Can he cite an occasion on which the audience were physically laughing at his conclusion of Beethoven's sonata op 31 no 1? Incidentally, in the same article he states his lack of sympathy with the music of Rachmaninov as relating to the latter's lack of invention: this coming from a man whose performing career consisted in a large part of the piano music of Beethoven, and nothing (or very little) contemporary.

Well, I don't know about Op 31 but there is certainly a film (on youtube last time I looked) of Brendel making an audience laugh out loud in a Haydn Sonata movement - and anyway, I suspect his remark about organists was made tongue in cheek (he's an amusing as well as a profoundly intellectual man, as those who have read his poetry will know). And although he is now mainly associated with the Viennese classics, as a younger pianist Brendel was in command of a vast repertoire - including the then rarely played Schoenberg Concerto. Stravinsky Petrushka and much else (even some Rachmaninov I think, so at least he tried!). The series of recordings he made on the Vox label in the 1960s and 1970s bears this out. I don't have a problem with any performer deciding they have a particular affinity with a small area of repertoire if they play it as well as Brendel does.

"If you can’t make an audience laugh at the end of Beethoven’s Piano Sonata Op 31 No 1, you should become an organist.”

(Alfred Brendel)

From today's Times:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle6856909.ece

===========================

That's a wonderfully wry joke from Brendel.

Still, I suppose if you can't play Bach, it's best to stick to the piano!!!!!!

MM

===========================

That's a wonderfully wry joke from Brendel.

Still, I suppose if you can't play Bach, it's best to stick to the piano!!!!!!

MM

Wicked - but hilarious!

Brendel is quoted as saying he is responsible to the composer and to the piece, whereas it seems to me that organists (uniquely?) often see their responsibility as being towards the instrument.

Wicked - but hilarious!

Brendel is quoted as saying he is responsible to the composer and to the piece, whereas it seems to me that organists (uniquely?) often see their responsibility as being towards the instrument.

=========================

Well, how could he claim that an play Bach on a Steinway?

Tut,tut.....

Organists do have their little joke endings, and I have a few of mine own; especially for that Bolero by Lefebrue-Wely (Sp?), where I end with a jazz chord which seems so....erm...appropriate.

Then we have the Pietro Yon "Toccatina"

One of the funniest things I ever heard was Nicholas Kynaston playing the Leipziger Gigue by Mozart....easy to understand why Mozart got thrown out of a church for taking the p*** at the organ.

It would be a dull world without the Austrians. I don't believe I just wrote that......

MM