Mander Organ Builders Forum

Cirencester Parish Church

Martin Owen

Have any other members heard or seen the rebuilt/new H & H organ at Cirencester Parish Church?

It was completed shortly before Christmas and, whilst it is not going to be fully used until after the opening recital by David Briggs on Saturday, 17th April, I was fortunate enough to be shown it with some friends on New Year's Eve.

It sounds quite magnificent and more like a Father Willis than before having retained the previous Willis work and added more in the same style. There is also a new case containing the Great facing westwards down the South aisle allowing much better penetration of the sound into the nave.

The recently newly laid stone floor has also improved what was previously a somewhat dry accoustic.

Many a Cathedral would be proud of this instrument so congratulations to Cirencester.

Thanks for this information Martin. I would love to go and see the new organ sometime and am pleased to read it is now installed.

I just tried to find a website for the church - there doesnt seem to be one which I find most suprising for such an important building. Also, NPOR is not yet up-to-date and there are no location photos on the H&H website either.

Ah well - I'll just have to drive over and see it!!

Richard

Thanks for this information Martin. I would love to go and see the new organ sometime and am pleased to read it is now installed.

I just tried to find a website for the church - there doesnt seem to be one which I find most suprising for such an important building. Also, NPOR is not yet up-to-date and there are no location photos on the H&H website either.

Ah well - I'll just have to drive over and see it!!

Richard

I've just had the same experience and also realising there would be no point on looking at the NPOR!

• 2 weeks later...
The recently newly laid stone floor has also improved what was previously a somewhat dry acoustic.

Many a Cathedral would be proud of this instrument so congratulations to Cirencester.

Indeed, the intention from the outset was to rebuild/reconstruct along Willis lines, so to that end, H&H, by all accounts, have done a good job. Prior to my appointment as D of M at Cirencester, the previous music "regime" had proposed exorbitant plans for a huge 5 manual job with new Great in the South aisle, a section over the South door and a west end section. During my time there, we modified the proposals to a manageable level, although making one or two little tweaks, like 32ft reed right down to the bottom, and at the suggestion of my assistant at the time, a divided pedal. I haven't yet been to Cirencester to see the finished job, but have heard differing reports from people who have ranging from "Superb" to "bloody awful" so....................each to his own opinion!

NS

Due to the appalling "politics" in Cirencester Parish, the organ and music gets very little coverage on the main Parish website. However, the website of the present Director of Music, Anthony Hammond, serves as the music website for the church, although "unofficial".

Click on this link, then click on the link to the Church Music/Choir pages! http://www.anthonyhammond.com

Sounds silly, I know, but that's Cirencester all over!

But then that's another story...................................................!!

NS