Mander Organ Builders Forum

Music On The Bbc Next Week

handsoff

There is a bit of a treat on Thursday 21 January; Performance on 3 at 19.00 comes from St Giles, Cripplegate and includes the BBC singers and David Hill performing Widor, Tavener, Langlais, Gabriel Jackson, Petr Eben, Arvo Part, Bob Chilcott and Thierry Escaich. There is also a 20 minute interval filled with "Tales from the Loft". Full details are in the Radio Times on page 132.

Having two organs makes this an ideal venue for the French Masses. Shame it's the BBC Singers (IMO only...) as I dislike the warbling from the sopranos and altos which they seem unable to restrain whatever they're singing.

Shame it's the BBC Singers (IMO only...) as I dislike the warbling from the sopranos and altos which they seem unable to restrain whatever they're singing.

And I thought it was just me! I couldn't agree more - at their worst they can sound truly dire, all warble and no music. In all fairness, I think there's been less vibrato in evidence more recently.

There are plenty of people out there who actually like a generous vibrato, though for the life of me I shall never be able to understand why. It "warms the tone" we are told. Well, yes, but there's no need to melt it!

Having said that, I do admire the Naxos CD of W. H. Harris anthems sung by the choir of St George's, Windsor, even though the sound (even from the boys) is virtually operatic. I always have to have a bath afterwards, though. It's sinful, that singing.

Guest Roffensis
There is a bit of a treat on Thursday 21 January; Performance on 3 at 19.00 comes from St Giles, Cripplegate and includes the BBC singers and David Hill performing Widor, Tavener, Langlais, Gabriel Jackson, Petr Eben, Arvo Part, Bob Chilcott and Thierry Escaich. There is also a 20 minute interval filled with "Tales from the Loft". Full details are in the Radio Times on page 132.

Having two organs makes this an ideal venue for the French Masses. Shame it's the BBC Singers (IMO only...) as I dislike the warbling from the sopranos and altos which they seem unable to restrain whatever they're singing.

Yes I quite agree! They make everything sound the same.

R

Guest Roffensis
There are plenty of people out there who actually like a generous vibrato, though for the life of me I shall never be able to understand why. It "warms the tone" we are told. Well, yes, but there's no need to melt it!

Having said that, I do admire the Naxos CD of W. H. Harris anthems sung by the choir of St George's, Windsor, even though the sound (even from the boys) is virtually operatic. I always have to have a bath afterwards, though. It's sinful, that singing.

I don't think you can beat boys voices with some vibrato, used musically, realtive to the words etc. I don't know the recording you mention but it's refreshing to know that some still do it properly and that some Choirmasters know how to teach it. Far better than screeching chest voices forced up. I always got a Tenor B flat out out of my boys in pure head voice, I always insisted they carried it down that low. Incredibly rich. I also always always taught them to use vibrato, but today it is often a dying art, and many "Choirmasters" aren't masters at all, who do not really know how to do it, and are well qualified Organists only. Nuff said on that <_< .

I am constantly horrified by the horrible forced, unatural tone coming out of some cathedrals, together with theeeeeeeee horrible diction (or as they would, dicshern?) to match. No rolled "R"s either. I must look out the CeeeDeee, do they do Strengthen Yeeeeeeeeee the wiiiiiiiiiiiiik hands?

Hah!!

R