Mander Organ Builders Forum

Love Divine And Its Variants

themythes

Excellent, my memory did indeed serve me correctly for once. Anyone got the full text?

Sorry for the poor English, my grammar does indeed give the wrong idea!

PM sent. If anyone else needs a copy perhaps contact guilmant as he brought it up - I don't want to get a reputation for this sort of material :lol:

I was going to mention 'O Jesus, I have promised', which surely is about the only other hymn which can have so many tunes still sung to it regularly

Day of Rest

Thornbury

Wolvercote

Hatherop Castle

being the four most common, but I'm sure there are others. I'd opt for one of the middle two.

I never play 'O Jesus, I have promised' to Thornbury. I was playing for a hymn sandwich type service once and was less-prepared than I should have been :lol: ...'Thy hand, O God has guided' appeared in the same service. Disaster was averted only because I dropped my service sheet on the pedal board just before the first of these and it fell open at the second, and I realised what I was about to get into!

We generally use Blaenwern for Love Divine for Sunday services, although I occasionally throw in the Stainer tune just for a change. I always check which tune in wanted for weddings and funerals and would say its probably about 60/40 in favour of Stainer in my church.

For Praise to the Holiest I normally use Gerontius, but, having been brought up on AMR, sometimes use Richmond.

For O Jesus I have promised I stick to Wolvercote, for the simple reason that I love that tune.

For O Jesus I have promised I stick to Wolvercote, for the simple reason that I love that tune.

I am trying to wean our congregation off Hatherop Castle for this and so yesterday played Wolvercote.

Received several complaints for my trouble; my only supporter was one lady who has sung in the choir for over 60 years and hates HC. It's going to be an uphill struggle, I can see.