Mander Organ Builders Forum

1860 Bryceson

Pierre Lauwers

A belgian organ-builder has a 1860 Bryceson chamber organ for sale.

The disposition is as follows:

Open Diapason

Stopped Diapason

Octave or Principal (4')

Fiftheenth

Pull-down Pedal

Are there still many such instruments intact?

In case of a restoration, are there peculiarities

that needs attention?

Thanks and best wishes,

Pierre

I can put you in touch with someone who looks after a couple of vintage Bryceson (or Bryceson & Ellis) instruments if you like - let me know.

Hi

NPOR lists well over 100 organs (of all sizes) either by Bryceson or worked on by him - discovering how many still exist would need far more time than I'm able to spare. I've seen NPOR surveys for a number of small Brycesons, and indeed the organ in my previous church had no builder's plate, but we think, for stylistic reasons, it could be by Bryceson (NPOR Index no. E00001) - and that's still going strong.

Every Blessing

Tony

Steeple Ashton over the border from here in Wiltshire (see NPOR) has a Bryceson Brothers & Ellis dating from 1875 and nearly as it was originally. It is a fine medium sized 3 manual in an interesting medieval church with a reasonably good acoustic. There is another slightly larger 3 man. recently restored by Geoffrey Coffin (Principal Pipe Organs) in the Temple Speech Room at Rugby School (1890). There used to be a large Bryceson (1872) in the Chapel there with an early electric action but it is now long gone.

Bryceson worked with a number of other individuals during his career including Ellis, Morten and Fincham (Godmanchester - 1860 - is another good example - restored not so long ago by Peter Collins). The 2 manual for the 1885 Kensington Exhibition won a gold medal for its pioneer electric action and detached console and the company held the English concession for the 1868 Paris patented 'Barker/Peschard' electric action. Much of their work during the 1850s and 60s remained in the English tradition though later they became more experimental. They were later taken over by Kirkland in the early 1890s who in turn were taken over by Hill, Norman & Beard.

AJJ