Mander Organ Builders Forum

Mismatched Tunes

Peter Clark

Guest Patrick Coleman
Our instrumental group, with which I am not associated, sang Come Thou Long Expected Jesus to the tune of Now the Carnival is Over in Advent. And really, I'm sorry I haven't a clue why. Any improvement on that?

P

:(

Slightly off topic, but the the first two lines of 'Divine Mysteries' can be used as a counter-melody over the first two lines of the refrain of 'The servant King'.

For my money, 'The Muppet Show' theme is a vast improvement on 'Hatherop Castle'. :(

Guest Roffensis
Slightly off topic, but the the first two lines of 'Divine Mysteries' can be used as a counter-melody over the first two lines of the refrain of 'The servant King'.

For my money, 'The Muppet Show' theme is a vast improvement on 'Hatherop Castle'. :lol:

I like Hatherop Castle. :D

R

Oh, and While Shepherds Watched to On Ilkley Moor...

Ah, now that one really doesn't count, as that actually exists, I have the Hyperion disc to prove it! We can't include items that have valid historical worth.

There's a Tim Dud Smith set of words to the Clarke Trumpet Voluntary and years ago I remember singing a paraphrase of Psalm 46 to the tune of the Dambusters.

Ah, now that one really doesn't count, as that actually exists

My father was from Yorkshire, and we always used Ilkley Moor in our carol parties in the 1950s. We also sang God rest ye merry, Gentlemen in 2-part canon - a bit scrunchy in parts, but rather fun.

Paul

There's a Tim Dud Smith set of words to the Clarke Trumpet Voluntary and years ago I remember singing a paraphrase of Psalm 46 to the tune of the Dambusters.

'God is our strength and refuge

Our present help in trouble

And we therefore will not fear

Though the earth should change

Though mountains shake and tremble

Though swirling waters are raging

God the Lord of hosts is with us

Evermore'.

It's around 25 years since I sang this, but I'm pretty certain this is an accurate first verse.

I believe it came from a book called Psalm Praise first published in 1973.

AJS

Evermore'.

It's around 25 years since I sang this, but I'm pretty certain this is an accurate first verse.

AJS

That's the one, and that would fit in as being 'new' in my Yorkshire Sunday School days of the 1970's.

We also sang a 'worship song' (is that how they are described?) called something like 'Almighty Father' which was to the tune of Handel's Lascia chi pangia. Never been able to find it in a book.

Thought of another one: the Communion Service Gloria to the Eastenders Theme. Once surfaced on Songs of Praise allegedly...

Oh, and While Shepherds Watched to On Ilkley Moor...

Hi

Interestingly, the "Ilkley Moor" tune is actually called "Hawkhurst" and was written for a different hymn! See the article on "While Shepherds..." in the New Oxford Book of Carols.

Every Blessing

Tony

Can still be found in "Complete Mission Praise" - No 188.

Peter

And Common Praise. It ought to be hymn no 617, but the numbers don't go high enough.

A friend, who probably ought to remain nameless, claims to have succumbed on one occasion to the temptation to, er, play an extended organ introduction to this hymn at a very well known London church.

Evermore'.

AJS

We had this is as the finisher at our Civic Service of Remembrance this year - it seems to alternate with 'O valiant hearts'. With having lots of soldiers in (in memory of a local soldier killed in conflict) they sung it quite lustily. There is an excellent arrangement of it in 'Carol Praise' by Noel Treddinick - it has an introduction reminiscent of the actual march itself, first two verses set in D, and then a modulation up to E flat and some nice scrunchy chords for the last verse, and a short organ bit at the end.

I think it is really rather more well known than has been suggested, and is rather effective.

On tunes which have new words set to them, Hymns Old and New (our edition being One Church, One Faith, One Lord) includes settings to Dvorak's Largo and Charpentier Te Deum. Its anthem companion also contains similar settings.

Try O Jesus I have Promised to the Muppet Show Theme ...

Or 'O Jesus I have promised' to a modified version of 'Match of the Day'. After playing it at a wedding in which I was assured that the groom's family had specifically asked for it, and never being able to forget the combination of horrified and contemptuous expressions that met my introduction of the hymn, this remains the only time that I have issued an ultimatum to a member of the clergy. To his credit, he agreed with me.

IMHO Hatherop Castle comes a close second to this. Awful...

With a degree of reharmonisation, the plainsong Dies irae fits in the tenor part of Personent hodie. Worth doing a verse half speed and hiring some trombonists.

And the plainsong Te Deum can turn nicely into Smoke on the Water in an improvisation if some livening up of aged rockers is needed. mind you it can also become Postman Pat......for family services that is.

A :lol:

No idea mate. Is Colin Sell a member of this board? Maybe he might know.

:rolleyes: {Remembering the aching sides I had after hearing the words of "A Whiter Shade of Pale" sung to the tune of "My Old Man's a Dustman"}