Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pipe Soldering

Peter Munro

Guest Geoff McMahon

We use Alk soldering irons which are available from Laukhuff and if you have difficulty getting one from them, we may be able to help. They are nit temperature controlled themselves. One has to combine them with a dimmer (a normal light dimmer will work as the irons are less than 100w). Then you also need to prepare the iron so that everything except the (flat) bottom of the iron itself is blackened so that it will not take the solder.

I have seen thermostatically controlled ones, but I think they were especially made and it is not really necessary.

John

Many thanks, I'll investigate the Laukhuff irons.

Peter Munro

We use Alk soldering irons which are available from Laukhuff and if you have difficulty getting one from them, we may be able to help. They are nit temperature controlled themselves. One has to combine them with a dimmer (a normal light dimmer will work as the irons are less than 100w). Then you also need to prepare the iron so that everything except the (flat) bottom of the iron itself is blackened so that it will not take the solder.

I have seen thermostatically controlled ones, but I think they were especially made and it is not really necessary.

John