Mander Organ Builders Forum

Npor Historic Acreditation

Jonathan Thorne

I've just been looking through the NPOR and have found a particular Cathedral Organ or merit which has had some major re-workings over it's life and has been awarded an Historic Organ Certificate surveyed in 2002 under the BIOS The Historic Organ Certificate Scheme. How is this justified and is it fair?

I've just been looking through the NPOR and have found a particular Cathedral Organ or merit which has had some major re-workings over it's life and has been awarded an Historic Organ Certificate surveyed in 2002 under the BIOS The Historic Organ Certificate Scheme. How is this justified and is it fair?

Hi

The basic criteria can be found at http://www.duresme.org.uk/BIOS/hocs.htm

You don't say what organ it is, nor what grade of certificate has been awarded (for example a "Certificate of Recognition" simply reflects the presence of some historic material - or perhaps no more than an historic organ case.)

For more info you'd need to contact the HOC administrator (contact details on the web page mentioned above).

Every Blessing

Tony

I don't know what the criteria are, but I have seen some seriously fishy ones.

I particularly think that there ought to be the facility to strip accreditation from anyone who, upon being presented with a Grade 1 historic certificate, sees fit to put it in a plastic-glazed picture frame and affix it to the console with Pozidrive screws. Rather missing the point!