Mander Organ Builders Forum

Best Bargain

Justadad

I'm not sure this a a good idea but if it isn't the thread will die.

I just got e-mail notification of the latest Roger Molineux second hand organ music catalogue (which can be found here: http://www.usedorganmusic.co.uk/Cat0110.pdf.

What are the real gems, the real bargains, and why?

I thought R.O. Morris's 'Contrapuntal Technique in the 16th Century' must be a steal at £6 (in very good condition) because I remember a Morris tome being on one of Justason's reading lists and costing an absolute fortune.

Best wishes

J

Berio's Fa-Si for £6.00 - apart from the fact that you need the brain the size of a planet to cope with the notation and a technique to match. The piece is quite impossible (quite apart from the need for two registrants who have to do things like trills on two stop knobs - electric stop action needed!) However, I did hear it on Radio 3 once and thought it sounded very effective indeed. So, if you have the sort of mind that can cope with ultra-fast, atonal demisemiquavers in fiendishly tricky microrhythms splashed randomly in all directions at once across five staves, go for it.

Brian Brockless's Prelude, Toccata and Chaconne is excellently crafted and well worthwhile. A good, serious recital piece.

I have mentioned Carl Piutti's Chorale Preludes before. They are mostly very short - too short, really - but are very attractive in a Brahmsian way and are mostly grade 3-6 standard, so would make good teaching or sight-reading material.

Saint-Saens Bénédiction nuptiale - very slurpy.

I'm not sure this a a good idea but if it isn't the thread will die.

I just got e-mail notification of the latest Roger Molineux second hand organ music catalogue (which can be found here: http://www.usedorganmusic.co.uk/Cat0110.pdf).

What are the real gems, the real bargains, and why?

I thought R.O. Morris's 'Contrapuntal Technique in the 16th Century' must be a steal at £6 (in very good condition) because I remember a Morris tome being on one of Justason's reading lists and costing an absolute fortune.

Best wishes

J

Barry - I get a standard '404' error - could you check the link, please?

Thank you,

I'm intrigued by Franck - Mediation (sic), pub. Ashdown. Definitely one for the wishlist. :(

It's an excellent service and there's bargains to be had in just about every area - although I thought £3.50 for Clerambault's Basse et Dessus de Trompette (fine piece though it is from the 1st Livre d'Orgue) was a bit steep, esp for 1-2 pages in "level 3" condition.

I received, by e-mail, the following advice which may be of great help to those beginning to build their library of scores.

Best wishes

J

Suggestions for someone else's library are a touch difficult because you neither know their taste or what they already have, but here goes!

Composers that no self respecting organist should be without:

Cesar Franck (I particularly recommend the Peeters edition - all Franck's markings are still there, very legible too)

Petr Eben (anything)

Liszt (I particularly recommend the Peeters edition again, it's a matter of page-turns etc.)

Guilmant (especially Sonata 1 and 5)

Hindemith Sonatas

Howells Six Pieces

Jongen (esp. Toccata or Sonata Eroica - however S.E. is not currently for sale)

Pachelbel (There's a complete Dover available - masses of good stuff for practically nothing!)

Schumann Fugues (you've guessed it: Peeters)

All sorts of excellent recital material is here at knock-down prices (compared to new)

Roger Ducasse Pastorale

Fleury (anything)

Galliera Triptich

Gowers Toccata

Ian Hare Three Dances

Hollins Song of Sunshine (wonderful light number, shows off delicacy and wit)

Leighton prelude Scherzo and Passacaglia

Lemare Rondo Capriccio (same comment as Hollins above)

Mathias Toccata Giocosa

Ropek Variations on Victimae Paschali

Steel Fantasy on a theme by Purcell

Tournemire Suite Evocatrice

Whitlock Four Extemporisations

Walond Voluntarys, under Tallis to Wesley on page 48 of catalogue - they're all good and Oxford related!

Hope this helps!

For some useful (although a little cheesy at moments) pieces, the Bossi works are quite good - I have both the Peters collections which are listed there, and find some of the works of great use.

The Camilleri 'Wine of Peace' is worth it - from our only renowned national composer! Very relaxing and easy to play. From what I remember, you need a high pedal F sharp at the end - strange, as I cannot think of a single instrument here which has such a compass.

Ibert's Trois Pieces are quite interesting, good as a suite for a recital.

Langlais Seven Etudes for Pedal Solo are quite fun too.

I've never ordered anything from this catalogue as of yet, but always check back to see if any of the pieces from my 'elusive works' list appear there!

The Camilleri 'Wine of Peace' is worth it - from our only renowned national composer! Very relaxing and easy to play. From what I remember, you need a high pedal F sharp at the end - strange, as I cannot think of a single instrument here which has such a compass.

I'll second VA's recommendation of Wine of Peace. I find that by playing the right hand on the positive and the left hand on the swell, and by coupling up the pedal to a great soft 8 & 16 stops (with no pedal stops drawn) I thumb down the final f#.

Peter