Mander Organ Builders Forum

Toccata & Fugue Celebration

Jeremy Jones

While surfing the BBC Radio 3 website, I found out that the BBC and RCO are organising a celebration of Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor BWV 565 on Sunday 18 December, as part of Radio 3's "A Bach Christmas". Since the BBC appeared to have given up on broadcasting organ music except in the middle of the night, this is a bit of a turn up.

They are trying to get as many organists as possible across the UK to play the work on the Sunday at a service or recital. Wayne Marshall is playing it live on Radio 3 at 1.30 pm on the Klais organ at St John's, Smith Square, London, as part of a wider programme about the work. More info can be found at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/bach/bachtfc.shtml

While surfing the BBC Radio 3 website, I found out that the BBC and RCO are organising a celebration of Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor BWV 565 on Sunday 18 December, as part of Radio 3's "A Bach Christmas". Since the BBC appeared to have given up on broadcasting organ music except in the middle of the night, this is a bit of a turn up.

They are trying to get as many organists as possible across the UK to play the work on the Sunday at a service or recital. Wayne Marshall is playing it live on Radio 3 at 1.30 pm on the Klais organ at St John's, Smith Square, London, as part of a wider programme about the work. More info can be found at

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/bach/bachtfc.shtml

I have already decided to play this work as part of my Voluntary. I have to say though the timing of this event is all wrong. Most Organist's I have spoken too are not happy as they would be busy preparing for Carol Services and other Work. It's a pity they could not have arranged it earlier n the Month Christmas is always a busy time for Church Organist's.