Mander Organ Builders Forum

Newcastle City Hall

Charles Wooler

I thought members might be interested in this:

http://www.itv.com/tynetees/organ-campaign28296/

Charles

One of my Facebook" friends sent me this link too.

The big question is, will it ever happen. I seem to remember this was in the news a while ago now, and also, and stand to be corrected, did Carlo Curley bring some Japanese gentlemen to see and hear it, with the prospect of the organ going to

"the land of the rising sun"?? :unsure:

Peter

Fantastic news - fully restored this could be the nation's Great Concert Hall Organ...

Whilst it is always good to see any instrument being restored can some one explain why this one is so special becuase when I last heard it 30+ years ago I seem to remember it just seemed like the usual heavy Arthur Harrison instrument. As for it being "the nation's Great Concert Hall Organ" I think the cities of Birmingham (2), Bristol Liverpool, Leeds, Leicester, to name but a few, might challenge that statement!

'just seemed like the usual heavy Arthur Harrison instrument'

I'm sure this is just the kind of support the fundraising team in Newcastle were hoping for from the 'organ world'... :blink:

OK - I'm biased, but this is the largest unaltered Harrison concert organ in high Edwardian style extant - the RAH being a mixture of Willis, Harrison & Mander.

Certainly one or two of the others you allude to are fine instruments (!), but I'm talking about real conviction of style and aesthetic integrity - I'd include the RFH in this category, but I notice you didn't mention London. :P

I'm sure this is just the kind of support the fundraising team in Newcastle were hoping for from the 'organ world'...

Please note my sentence started "Whilst it is always good to see any instrument being restored" so I consider your response is unfair and still fails to tell me why this instrument might be "the nation's Great Concert Hall Organ" as opposed to others in my far from comprehensive list ( I did say "to name but a few"). I am keen to learn and wish them well.

An intact Arthur Harrison ?

Go on, ladies and gentlemen, this is AA+++ rate !

I found this:

http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/har...ndharrisonorgan

This was the belgian vote,

Pierre

As many will know here, I am not a devotee of instruments by Arthur Harrison - but in this case I would definitely make an exception. This instrument should be restored (i.e., not altered in any way) and brought to full working order in superb condition.

My only reservation is: should it stay in its present home, or is there a more suitable hall somewhere in England, where this great instrument will be used (and heard) regularly and appreciated by a wider audience than is likely, were it to stay in its present home?

I agree that this instrument should be fully restored as it is with no changes, it is a brilliant instrument sounding amazing when l last heard it about 8 years ago. Surely it would get the use and reputation it deserves in the current venue????? Or do others think it underused/underated. I dont know the set up in Newcastle but l would think there would be enough interest in the area to support it.

WN