Mander Organ Builders Forum

Classic FM Hall of Fame

Nick Bennett

I've just received the following from Peter Chatfield, General Secretary of the IAO:

Now's your chance to show to the media that the organ really matters! Why not get your friends to vote too.

There's plenty of organ music on the list at http://www.classicfmhalloffame.co.uk/#votingForm and what better way to get ourselves and the organ heard.

But, be quick! Voting closes at 23:59 on Sunday 31st January.

He's right, there is quite a lot of organ music on there, though some surprising omissions (Liszt's "Ad Nos" is there, but not the BACH for instance). I'm not sure what the criteria are for inclusion: pieces that have been played on CFM this year perhaps?

It's not as simple as it could be!

You have to guess which composers might be represented and type in their names, then it brings up a list of pieces.

==========================

It couldn't be simpler....BWV565 and the Widor Toccata....Yay for the populist approach.

We are talking Classic FM aren't we? :unsure:

MM

==========================

It couldn't be simpler....BWV565 and the Widor Toccata....Yay for the populist approach.

We are talking Classic FM aren't we? :unsure:

MM

Well, yes. Which is why I was surprised to find Ad Nos, L'Ascension and La Nativite on the list. These are works that are now considered to be beyond the Radio 3 audience :angry:

Some interesting stuff on there actually. The organ concerto by Samuel Wesley was a bit of a surprise!

Lefebure-Wely's Sortie in E flat?! A piece which has its merits (to be tactful) but not one for the hall of fame methinks.

Not sure quite what I'd vote for to be honest.

Which bar is that then? :unsure:

Well, shoot me now, but I do rather like the piece! Not as a serious piece of music, but as something a bit different, and a bit of a crowd-pleaser too (not that I can play it - never managed to reconcile the um-pah rhythms with the right hand bits over the top). Can you forgive me?!!!

I was highly amused when I saw it in there though.

Well, shoot me now, but I do rather like the piece! Not as a serious piece of music, but as something a bit different, and a bit of a crowd-pleaser too (not that I can play it - never managed to reconcile the um-pah rhythms with the right hand bits over the top). Can you forgive me?!!!

I was highly amused when I saw it in there though.

Yes, it's certainly a crowd-pleaser and one, I find, requested by my 'punters' as much as THE Widor and BWV 565 (sorry, Vox! :unsure: ). And, I must confess, I can enjoy it on the odd occasion when I choose to 'let my hair down'. Does not even the most picky gourmet occasionally have the desire for a MacDonalds or a bacon butty with cheap white bread and lashings of tomato sauce? *drools*

Lefebure-Wely's Sortie in E flat?! A piece which has its merits (to be tactful) but not one for the hall of fame methinks.

Not sure quite what I'd vote for to be honest.

Agreed but congregations absolutely love it - as they so the marches of Scotson Clark!

Malcolm

I've just received the following from Peter Chatfield, General Secretary of the IAO:

Now's your chance to show to the media that the organ really matters! Why not get your friends to vote too.

There's plenty of organ music on the list at http://www.classicfmhalloffame.co.uk/#votingForm and what better way to get ourselves and the organ heard.

But, be quick! Voting closes at 23:59 on Sunday 31st January.

He's right, there is quite a lot of organ music on there, though some surprising omissions (Liszt's "Ad Nos" is there, but not the BACH for instance). I'm not sure what the criteria are for inclusion: pieces that have been played on CFM this year perhaps?

Done: Guilmant, Vierne and J.S. Bach :blink:

Guilmant gets a considerable look in, with five entries.

Organ Symphony No.2 in A major Opus 91

March upon Handel's 'Lift up your heads' Opus 15

Organ Sonata No.1, Opus No.42

Grand chorus in G minor, Opus No.84

Morceau Symphonique

You can also vote for the Bach Passacaglia twice!

Hang on, who is putting this list together? Symphony No.2? Grand choeur in G minor? They're not even particularly good pieces of Guilmant. If they needed so much of him (and let's face it, he's not the first name that springs to mind for memorable organ music, and this from a bit of a fan), what about the Grand choeur in D, or Symphony Nos 5 or 8?

I tried Dupre but to no avail! I would also have liked the Bach double violin concerto BWV 1043 but that didn't come up either. Curiously Messiaen's Apparation did come up, which I would not have imagined a CFM favourite!

Peter

I tried Dupré too!

• 2 months later...
I'm so cross - Sullivan is no where - despite my post no20

When will Message Boarders use E Power to change the world?

============================

E Power Biggs? :ph34r:

I'm sure he shuffled off this mortal coil some years ago.

MM