Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dan Lockair - Rubricks

AJJ

......and if they are difficult is there any more 'moderate' Locklair please?

A

....and..sorry - it should of course be RUBRICS!!!

=====================

Ah yes!

Anoher one for the "Only in America" topic.

Sorry.....don't have any of it.

MM

=====================

Ah yes!

Anoher one for the "Only in America" topic.

Sorry.....don't have any of it.

MM

I recorded Rubrics from Southwell Minster about three years ago. The pieces in the collection are of varying difficulty; number 4 - the peace may be exchanged - is by far the most straightforward. No 3 is definately the most difficult to control, especially when the trumpet melody finds its way into the left hand. I found the whole suite great fun to learn, and audiences / congregations love it. This is listener-friendly modern organ music at it's best, but some may say that it's more a concert cycle than for use at services.

Simon

I recorded Rubrics from Southwell Minster about three years ago. The pieces in the collection are of varying difficulty; number 4 - the peace may be exchanged - is by far the most straightforward. No 3 is definately the most difficult to control, especially when the trumpet melody finds its way into the left hand. I found the whole suite great fun to learn, and audiences / congregations love it. This is listener-friendly modern organ music at it's best, but some may say that it's more a concert cycle than for use at services.

Simon

Thanks for this.

A

Peter King has had a lot of mileage out of "Rubrics," as recital material, service music, degree ceremony repertoire, teaching repertoire... It seems the only thing he hasn't done is recorded it at Bath!

If memory serves, it's written using an additive technique, whereby the first piece is founded on just a handful of notes and each subsequent piece adds a further note to the mix until the last piece incorporates a complete note-row as its basis.

Should you be lucky enough to have a Cymbelstern, it will come into its own - at least one of the movements calls for one!

Indeed, it was Peter King who I first heard play this as we were waiting as a visiting choir for the next service to start. Empowered by this bit of musical jollity, one of our chief fundraisers for the refurbed organ suggested that Thomas Trotter might like to play it at the opening recital, which he did. I think this coincided with his cd from Symphony Hall which contained the same suite.

I've played no.s 3, 4 and 5. Four is jolly useful communion music, you're right that 3 is more tricky when the left hand has the tune, and five is a good crash. I wrote an article on American music sometime ago and was sent absolutely piles of Locklair to play through, so I feel I might have been through a lot of it. There is a very useful suite of pieces for manuals only which would suit a smaller instrument. I'm currently debating whether 'Dance the Joy' from the new UMP book ed.Titterington is worth the learn. Its very much in the Rubrics mode with constantly changing rhythms/metres etc. The bits that always stub me are the pedal glissandi, anyone any practical suggestions with those.

There is a very useful suite of pieces for manuals only which would suit a smaller instrument.

'Have just ordered these - hopefully something different for the one decker I play on regularly.

A