Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ben Van Oosten at Symphony Hall

Philip

I am interested to find out how many others are going to hear Ben Van Oosten tomorrow night (I realise some may not post until after the event).

I also wonder whether everyone else is looking forward to it as much as I am - dare I use the word 'excited' for an organ recital?! It promises to be a very enjoyable evening I think - at least from the perspective of an unashamed lover of music of the period in question!

Mrs H and I were planning to go; we (I anyway) wouldn't have missed it for the world under normal circumstances, but I have a really irritating and frequent cough at the moment and I wouldn't want to sit next to me... :rolleyes:

I'm just glad that I heard Daniel Hyde play Guilmant 1 at the Town Hall last week. It was S T U N N I N G and required three "curtain calls" - even TT rarely gets that from his regular fans...

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasn't familiar with the rest of either the Guilmant or Vierne (aside from the Finals) and the Guilmant in particular I enjoyed, as well as the rather charming Intermezzo in the Vierne.

BvO was excellent, they brought the mobile console down so we could see him in action. He sent us all home with the Vierne 'Meditation' from 'Trois Improvisations' as an encore to round off an excellent evening.

I don't know how many people were there, its difficult to estimate, but it wasn't exactly full.....!