Mander Organ Builders Forum

Improvisations

David Coram

The John Riley series from Organists' Review a few years back is also very accessible and user friendly - he also produced a book + CD at about the same time which goes into rather more detail. I am not sure whether this is still available though.

AJJ

I had some tuition from Nigel Allcoat on a course in Cambridge last year. He really is quite extraordinary - inspirational, hilariously funny, outrageously forthright. Did he really tell the dean of a cathedral that has recently had their organ rebuilt that its best feature was the off switch? He says so, and I wouldn't put it past him.

He was particularly scathing about what he called "creepy-crawly improvisation," encouraged us to play all over the range of the instrument, and tried to stop us thinking in terms of harmony.

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I had some tuition from Nigel Allcoat on a course in Cambridge last year.  He really is quite extraordinary - inspirational, hilariously funny, outrageously forthright.  Did he really tell the dean of a cathedral that has recently had their organ rebuilt that its best feature was the off switch?  He says so, and I wouldn't put it past him.

He was particularly scathing about what he called "creepy-crawly improvisation," encouraged us to play all over the range of the instrument, and tried to stop us thinking in terms of harmony.

Oh! I thought that I am always most serious when teaching in Cambridge!

(Just been drawn here by a search!) Fascinating reading in all these pages and I see many familiar names too.

Best wishes,

Nigel

Also - if you want something else different from the Cochereau/Briggs style of improvisation try Gerre Hancock on his JAV CD from Washington National Cathedral (see another recent thread on this site relating to that instrument). His improvised symphony is stunning and just about uses everything the organ there has to offer - and all in the best possible taste too!

AJJ