Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lead kindly Light

DouglasCorr

I know three tunes for 'Lead, kindly light' and this isn't one of them! It is rather nice though. Unfortunately the script to the service doesn't list the tune.

And Coe Fen at the end there, followed by a voluntary by a contributor to this board!

I didn't know it - which made the playover rather meaningless and unhelpful. The tune was pleasant enough though.

I am unable to listen to the broadcast from my current location, but could it be the setting from Howard Goodall's Eternal Light? That ought to be Youtubeable and eliminated as a contender.

Why anyone would want to use anything other than Alberta is completely beyond me.

I am unable to listen to the broadcast from my current location, but could it be the setting from Howard Goodall's Eternal Light? That ought to be Youtubeable and eliminated as a contender.

Why anyone would want to use anything other than Alberta is completely beyond me.

Thank you for your suggestion, but its not the Goodall one ......

Question solved.

I contacted the DOM, Nigel Kerry, at The Church of Our Lady & The English Martyrs, Cambridge, and he most kindly informed me that the tune used for 'Lead Kindly Light' is 'Lux in Tenebris' by Dom Gregory Murray in 'The Westminster Hymnal'.