Mander Organ Builders Forum

Taking a day off

Peter Clark

In the RSI pedalling thread, Douglas Corr wrote:

too much practice all of a sudden - take days off

I just wonder how many professional or semi-professional - or indeed any organist - finds it benefical to take a day or two off now and then? I took a day oiff yesterday and my playing this morning - not in public thankfully - was dreadful. But when I went to the States last year and didn't play for a week on my return my playing was pretty good (for me, that is!).

Peter

I just wonder how many professional or semi-professional - or indeed any organist - finds it benefical to take a day or two off now and then? I took a day oiff yesterday and my playing this morning - not in public thankfully - was dreadful. But when I went to the States last year and didn't play for a week on my return my playing was pretty good (for me, that is!).

Peter

I suppose it might be a "mood" thing. I heard this morning that a chap who lived downstairs from me a couple of years ago had died. We were never bosom buddies but we had a pint together now and then. We shared no interests, though we swapped birthday cards and Christmas cards with a token present but he was fairly young (about 60 as I recall), not too much older than I.

Peter

I suppose it might be a "mood" thing. I heard this morning that a chap who lived downstairs from me a couple of years ago had died. We were never bosom buddies but we had a pint together now and then. We shared no interests, though we swapped birthday cards and Christmas cards with a token present but he was fairly young (about 60 as I recall), not too much older than I.

That might well have an effect on your playing, Peter. Our systems, emotional and physical, are incredibly complex; a cup of strong coffee or an unpleasant word from a colleague or congregant, or just a loud plane flying overhead can have significant impact.

Peter

What I wrote, concerning help for someone with a joint problem, is simply something that any sportsman knows about their bodies, whatever it is that they do, that trying to come from a low level of training sudddenly to a high level is very likely to lead to a detremental result - they will have a strain or worse.

Your new thread is rather different; if you are already fully trained and you have a bad performance after a day off then I imagine the possibilities are- most likely you didn't warm up enough, you were tired for some reason, or you were not as well in training as you thought. :rolleyes:

What I wrote, concerning help for someone with a joint problem, is simply something that any sportsman knows about their bodies, whatever it is that they do, that trying to come from a low level of training sudddenly to a high level is very likely to lead to a detremental result - they will have a strain or worse.

Your new thread is rather different; if you are already fully trained and you have a bad performance after a day off then I imagine the possibilities are- most likely you didn't warm up enough, you were tired for some reason, or you were not as well in training as you thought. :rolleyes:

No doubt the last of your suggestions applies to me! :lol:

Curiously when I awoke today I was shivering and sweating and coughing and sneezing so it looks like a couple of days off will now be enforced, which explains my presence on this forum at this time of day. Fortunately I have a fairly recently opened half bot of scotch to stave off the lurgy, and leadership of the choir rehearsal tonight has been delegated. Pity me, dear friends, for not being able to do choir tonight but to have instead a few soothing but medicinally essential whiskies and an early night. Aren't you all so sorry?

P

Due to wretched GCSE and A level coursework deadlines being today, I haven'tbeen near the organ for a week. I'm about to make up for that this afternoon, I'll let you know if it has made any difference!

Due to wretched GCSE and A level coursework deadlines being today, I haven'tbeen near the organ for a week. I'm about to make up for that this afternoon, I'll let you know if it has made any difference!

Ah ha - my GCSE stuff went in last week so all is clearer now too - 'just had an hour restoring what there is of my technique - a bit of 'modern' to clear the brain - and also the neighbours are out so the beast in the front room can be let off the leash somewhat. Strangely - the 'gap' seems to have worked and notes appear more in the right order than for a while.

A

That's the last thing I need, smug colleagues who are either more organised than me, or who have more organised pupils than mine!

Seriously though, it does get rather depressing at this stage of the year, and given that this is the last time we do this GCSE, I don't care if I never see/hear another pavanne/galliard/Vienesse waltz/disco/salsa/minimalist/bhangra extract again.

Organ practice was remarkably productive. Surprisingly, the Bach, Planyavsky and faster bits of my Lemare were fine, but anything remotely slow or medium in tempo was two notches above sight reading. Anyway, more time from now on!

That's the last thing I need, smug colleagues who are either more organised than me, or who have more organised pupils than mine!

No more organised (and certainly not the students) - just a superbly efficient examinations administrator at school - mercifully!

A