Mander Organ Builders Forum

Painted pipes.

PBJ

I have been cleaning some wooden pipes of early 20th century vintage.

The black "paint" is almost like a carbon/graphite covering rather than paint. It seems to be only on the surface, ie it has not soaked into the wood like modern paint.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what it is?

The black "paint" is almost like a carbon/graphite covering rather than paint. It seems to be only on the surface, ie it has not soaked into the wood like modern paint.

They are very early 20th century as they date from 1850!

Possibly an old varnish or button polish. See if white spirit will lift it but go easy with the belt sander and you'll be fine.

AJS

I did try a sander, never again, the dust went through 2 layers of clothing!!!

I found that a wire brush removed enough of the covering to enable the pipes to be re-painted.

Guest Roffensis

I found that a wire brush removed enough of the covering to enable the pipes to be re-painted.

A wire brush?

Didn't it damage the pipes?

R

A wire brush?

Didn't it damage the pipes?

R

These pipes are a substantial Open Wood, the wire brush does no damage. Incidentally, it has the same effect on stopped wood pipes to middle C, all it does is rough up the surface to allow a new coat of paint to adhere.

Jonathan

Seriously, if these pipes are mid 19th century, there is a risk that the paint or whatever it is is lead based. Whatever you do, don't sand it without taking strict precautions to prevent breathing the dust in - far more serious than penetrating two layers of clothing!

Regards to all

John

• 4 weeks later...