Mander Organ Builders Forum

Algiers & Tunis Cathedrals

DaveHarries

Hi,

Does anyone know anything about the organ in Algiers Cathedral.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberinsea/4155472349/sizes/l/

..... and also if the cathedral at Tunis has one? If Tunis has one, what of the organ's history?

Cheers,

Dave

I found a source that Tunis Cathedral has a Cavaillé-Coll from 1883. I was in the cathedral last year, and there was a plate describing the organ's history. Just by memory, I would have thought of Mutin. This is supported by this source. And Mutin continued to use the ACC-Label, this might be the reason for the confusion. The instrument has been modified, if I remember correctly, and ist not very large.

But the organ is in use

Regards

Karl-Bernhardin Kropf

I found a source that Tunis Cathedral has a Cavaillé-Coll from 1883. I was in the cathedral last year, and there was a plate describing the organ's history. Just by memory, I would have thought of Mutin. This is supported by this source. And Mutin continued to use the ACC-Label, this might be the reason for the confusion. The instrument has been modified, if I remember correctly, and ist not very large.

But the organ is in use

Regards

Karl-Bernhardin Kropf

Algiers cathedral organ is a Mutin ACC: see here Visit My Website

Algiers cathedral organ is a Mutin ACC: see here Visit My Website

According to the Guardian, a certain member of the Royal Artillery by the name of Noel Mander, serving in Algiers during World War II, found time to successfully repair the organ there and was rewarded with a bottle of finest Cognac for his endeavours. Thirty years later he was rewarded with an MBE for working similar miracles with the organ of St Paul's Cathedral London :P