Mander Organ Builders Forum

Wedding/Funeral fees: Who sets them?

DHM

I vaguely recall having read somewhere that fees for wedding/funerals etc were a matter to be agreed between the parties concerned and the organist, rather than by the Incumbent and PCC - but I may have totally misremembered. There is no reference to this question in the otherwise excellent reference book by Messrs Leach & Williams. Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

Douglas.

I vaguely recall having read somewhere that fees for wedding/funerals etc were a matter to be agreed between the parties concerned and the organist, rather than by the Incumbent and PCC - but I may have totally misremembered. There is no reference to this question in the otherwise excellent reference book by Messrs Leach & Williams. Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

Douglas.

In my experience, the church normally have a fee which is agreed by the PCC. The organist is usually consulted and can decline to accept the fee (and the wedding) if the fee is thought to be insufficient. I deputise, and am usually asked by the Incumbent and/or the couple what my fee is. Around here, there is some disparity between churches, with fees ranging between £50 and £80 for a 'normal' wedding. Funeral fees are the same as for weddings.

N