DouglasCorr

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Not necessary, because this stop has to be "en chamade", even in 32',

down to C.

As for the debris, it is common sense to open all doors and remove all windows

before drawing that stop; moreover, before adding it to the organ, it is the whole

building that must be complertely checked and reinforced, wherever necessary,

in order to be able to cope with a Richter level of at least 6.

Pierre

Like those in London?

I think the way to implement the Vuvazela chorus is like this:

The important thing with the Vuvazela chorus is that it is all enveloping and you can't escape the braying, honking sound. You can't turn it off and you can't escape its pervading tones. The idea of the vuvazela is to frighten and intimidate the opponent - in this case either the congregation, the audience or the clergy.

I can think of some organs that already meet this description.

However, to install your vuvazela chorus:

Firstly, all the pipes should be made as cheaply as possible. Moulded thermo-plastic is the correct material - spun brass is an unnecessary expense. If a pipe breaks, just replace it with another one ordered off the internet. It would be historically correct to paint the pipes too - the more garish, the better.

Secondly, placement is very important. Although the chorus has a single note - a little way off Bb (actually, pitch isn't really that important), it stills follows many pipes will be needed for a proper chorus. And they shouldn't be shoved out of the way into a corner with the rest of the organ, either. No, there should be batteries of Vuvus placed all round the auditorium - several on each wall so they surround the opponent - sorry, listener. There should also be vuvus in other places too - the choir vestry, several in the clergy vestry, quite a few in the parish office, the Crypt, the Cathedral Green, a couple in the kitchens and several in the lavatories. If possible, they should be installed in every room of the Rectory too. There should be no escape anywhere from their presence!!

Any experienced organ builder will tell you that winding here will be an issue. However, the vuvus can each be powered by a small, individual air horn, connected to the organ by electrical or wireless connections. Harrisons may only build them with a small double-rise reservior for each vuvuzela but this is an unecessary expense, saved only for Rolls-Royce installations, where cost is no objective. If possible, for an authentic effect, they should come on and off randomly, at random intervals but this is probably only going to be implemented on top-end historical reconstruction organs - most of us will have to suffer them on all the time if we can't afford a John Brombaugh or Bill Drake vuvuzela chorus, although purists will argue hard for the improved effect of the historically correct vuvu chorus.

The next thing is control of the vuvazela chorus. As you can never escape them, they don't really need to be played from the keys. They could be turned on from a stop knob, like a Cymbelstern or Vogelsang, but this would be plainly wrong. They should be on all the time, from the time the organ is turned on until somebody turns it off, with an axe if necessary. On really authentic organs, they should remain on, even when the organ is turned off.

I'm sure they'll catch on in places like St. John the Divine, where they already have that enormous Kazoo on Speed, which is probably the closest anyone has to a Vuvazela on an organ.

=============================

No, no,no!!!

The "State Trumpet" may be horizontal, and it is certainly loud....very loud......but it is a wonderful reed in the flesh.

There are better qualifiers for the "Vuvuzela" moment........Atlantic City and the 100"wg Bugle rank on the Sanfilippo residence theatre-organ. The latter is terrifiyingly loud apparently, and if I can find it, there's a wonderful YouTube clip of a 7 year-old boy at a concert with his fingers stuck in his ears.

That is the true measure of the "Vuvuzela moment".....apart from the gas-powered air-horn my friend took with him to the V8 Formula One stock-car racing at Belle-Vue. Compared to that, the football fans are just pseudo-sensualists; you know, the sort of people who smoke their opium through water.

Actually, the best "Vuvuzela" solo note examples are usually found on trucks. With three or four of them en chamade, people, sheep, cows, rabbits and even whole classes of children on an outing, tend to jump out of the way as if suddenly hit by lightning.

MM

Well, all Chamades aren't Vuvuzelas, and certainly not st- Paul's !

Pierre

-------------------------------------

I'd heard that "those" reeds are really just metal-coated plastic ones, and may have started life as Vuvuzelli. :o

MM

Audience numbers might increase if we all showed a little more bare leg. :P

It worked for Jane Parker-Smith :o and I'm sure that the photograph of her on an LP sleeve (Blackburn Cathedral) was one of the reasons I was keen to play. I might have met her...

It worked for Jane Parker-Smith :) and I'm sure that the photograph of her on an LP sleeve (Blackburn Cathedral) was one of the reasons I was keen to play. I might have met her...

:lol:

What does the forum consider the best wind pressure on which to voice the vuvuzela?

========================

My increasing expertise of the instrument, leads me to believe that these Vuvazelas were obtained in the Netherlands.

As for wind-pressure, this should be as high and as variable as possible; possibly using small, inflatable pig's bladders for each of the instruments.

There is a young lady in South Africa who could possibly show you how to do it, after seeking medical advice.

She reported that, "Constant blowing has damaged my throat, and I've been told to rest."

MM

Ours are almost ready ....

==================================

And here is a sneak preview of what this will eventually sound like:-

Just press the little football symbol at moments of high-drama......it adds.....erm....so much.

MM

==================================

And here is a sneak preview of what this will eventually sound like:-

Just press the little football symbol at moments of high-drama......it adds.....erm....so much.

MM

Hmmm, must remember to read all of post first. I thought you meant when the reeds come on at 1:05 in video...

Josh