Mander Organ Builders Forum

Vierne's Six Symphonies

handsoff

Just in case anyone doesn't have this set of three CDs, Selections.Com are selling it for £7.99.

It's worth buying a separate set just for the car at that price.

I heard him do these live at St George's Windsor a few years back (perhaps a "dry run" in preparation for this recording?) - Nos 1 & 2 before lunch, 3 & 4 after lunch, break for tea and Evensong (at which he sang as an alto Lay Clerk) and then 5 & 6. And it was free. Quite a day. (Wasn't over-impressed by the Organ Scholar's playing at Evensong, though.)

Just in case anyone doesn't have this set of three CDs, Selections.Com are selling it for £7.99.

It's worth buying a separate set just for the car at that price.

I know the set, and found it quite good. Of course, everything new in this area has to stand up to comparison with Ben van Oosten's set, which, in my ears, is unsurpassed in every aspect (and it was recorded in 1984!). Jeremy Filsell's playing, of course, is very good, but somehow I think I would have enjoyed it more in recital than on disk, maybe because of the more interesting bits in the articulation.

My new favourite, and in my ears the first Vierne set coming close to the BvO set, is this, played here. Of course, the organ is anything but romantic (as stated erroneously by the label), but it is an exceptionally fine new instrument and, in its short life, has served for many recordings already. (In case you think, having read the stoplist, that one-and-a-half real pedal stops might not be sufficient for symphonic repertoire, I recommend to give it a try -- I was surprised myself.) It is the playing, however, that really makes the music bloom.

Best,

Friedrich

If I understand correctly you mean the more you pay the more you are satisfied???

Strange enough to me!!

OK, the English isn't great, I'm in report writing mode at the moment!

What I meant by the comment was that it is a pity when you see such great musicianship at such a cheap price, almost as an insult to the performer. I paid the full price, I think 4 years ago, and still prefer them as a set to the competition.

However, sometimes I think it is the case that the more you pay, the more you might be satisfied in many areas of life......

I have seen advertisements for Daniel Roth's recordings of some of the symphonies from St Sulpice; he is working his way through them and imagine that they will be worth a listen on that most exciting and colourful of instruments. *

I have S-V C-C's recording from there of movements 1 & 6 of the 1st and wish that she had done the lot; the 1st movement especially is about the best I have heard.

* There is also a new 2 disc recording made there of a recreation of a full mass including the Vierne Messe Solennelle and improvisations etc etc. Has anyone heard it? Mrs Handsoff is aware of it and as the longest day has passed her mind will soon turn to organising Christmas, in particular my present. I hope...

I have seen advertisements for Daniel Roth's recordings of some of the symphonies from St Sulpice; he is working his way through them and imagine that they will be worth a listen on that most exciting and colourful of instruments. *

I have S-V C-C's recording from there of movements 1 & 6 of the 1st and wish that she had done the lot; the 1st movement especially is about the best I have heard.

* There is also a new 2 disc recording made there of a recreation of a full mass including the Vierne Messe Solennelle and improvisations etc etc. Has anyone heard it? Mrs Handsoff is aware of it and as the longest day has passed her mind will soon turn to organising Christmas, in particular my present. I hope...

Allegro have it, although not in stock, and it's £60. JAV have some tantalising snippets in MP3 on their website.