Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Duets

octave_dolce

First of all, you have tp get to know the other person and know that you will not start fighting with each other in close proximity. It's not like having a page turner who doesn't use deodrant, or a registrand who slides behind you when you least expect it. It's more........comradely than that.....more intimate altogether. Audiences/congregations also start up Chinese whispers, so be prepared to indulge in a little diplomacy; especially iof there's an age difference.

All that aside, there are things worth playing, and I've put a few links in becaue I'm too lazy to list all the music.

Firstly, isn't there a duet by S S Wesley? If it weren't too hot, I'd go and dig through my music, but someone else will probably know.

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2001/0131/

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2006/0625/

There are two New Zealand organists who play concerts of duets, and the website details some of thier offerings:-

http://www.nzorganist.com/duets_max_kensworthy.html

Of course, if you and your co-pilot are outstanding virtuosi, then there's always a bit of Wagner, as in the following clip from You Tube.

The Ride of the Valkyries played as duet

That said, this is how it should really sound if you do your homework, and this with just a single pair of hands:-

Wowee!! Don't you just love that State Trumpet at St John-the-Divine?

If you have a suitably noisy tracker action....try this....or something Irish for the authentic “Riverdance” effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVUtM_miqc...&playnext=1

Of course, if you’re a pianist and you know a good organist, there’s always that splendid and NEVER PLAYED concerto for piano & organ by Flor Peeters. When was that last heard in public, I wonder? I even have a copy of it, and it is not beyond a reasonably accomplished organist/pianist duet.

Have fun.....remember the deodrant.

MM

Try getting in touch with this couple - they do masses of duet work and know most of the duets there are to know. They have 'home grown' arrangements to purchase and have also commissioned works from a diversity of sources. They are also really nice people!

A

There are two cracking arrangements by an american duo of Ride of the Valkyries and the Danse Macabre published at some point by Gray I think. Leighton Martyrs is wonderful but not exactly a load of laughs. Tomkins Fancy for Two to play, Wesley, Rutter Easter Theme. Two by PDQ Bach I think as well... I'll have a look in the organ loft tomorrow and see what else I've got. I'll second the comment made about knowing your partner well. You certainly will when you've finished.

There's Alkan's Bombardo-Carillon for pedals, four-feet...

Paul

I once came across a piano duet of the William Tell overture which a friend and I transcribed "on the fly" for an organ recital. Not too difficult (when played by four hands and four feet) and very effective, unfortunately I can't remember the original source but you might want to consider looking at piano duets too.

Contrabombarde

I once came across a piano duet of the William Tell overture which a friend and I transcribed "on the fly" for an organ recital. Not too difficult (when played by four hands and four feet) and very effective, unfortunately I can't remember the original source but you might want to consider looking at piano duets too.

Contrabombarde

Yes, I did a recital for two organs a while back, and we did both of the Mozart Fantasia's from Piano Duet scores with some ad lib pedalling. We then repeated it on one organ, so they might be a good idea. The Soler pieces however, don't work on one organ.

I have a German (possibly Barenreiter?) publication of pieces for pedal, they are quite hard. However, at the back of the book, there is a pedal duet piece, I think an arrangement of a Strauss waltz.

============================

I once tried ballroom dancing in my early youth: what a disaster that was!

I trampled on feet, slipped on the floor and bumped into people; becoming quite unpopular in the process.

Waltzes, (Viennese and St Bernard), Fox-Trots, Quick steps.....they were just an ongoing accident, but I fared better at Latin American. I gave up desperately disillusioned after discovering that the Gay Gordons was a bit of a misnomer.

You certainly wouldn't want me near you doing a waltz duet on the pedals; even allowing for the possible provision of emergency first-aid kits and smelling salts. The end result would be closer to "Kick Boxing" in Thailand.

MM

Yes, I did a recital for two organs a while back, and we did both of the Mozart Fantasia's from Piano Duet scores with some ad lib pedalling....

If you're referring to playing the fiendishly difficult but awesomely fantastic F minor for musical clock using four hands and feet -

- that's cheating!!!!!

If you're referring to playing the fiendishly difficult but awesomely fantastic F minor for musical clock using four hands and feet -

- that's cheating!!!!!

Yes, I agree........

but it sounded great!