Mander Organs
DouglasCorr

P D Collins Organ At Turner Sims

I've been in the church today and - wait for it - played it! To be fair, I played my one hymn tune very badly but it does sound absolutely fabulous. Ian and co are busy putting in the final touches and it will be used for the first service on Sunday, with the installation on Easter Day. All very exciting!

Peter

Brilliant to hear! I remember it going into it’s first home with similar anticipation for it’s opening celebrations. We were very fortunate to have it and it still seems odd for the university to have got rid of it.

A

I have just come back from the Orford Organ Festival. This included recitals by Paul Hale and Bernard Haas (almost completely from memory!) and organ with choir and orchestra with Catherine Ennis. When the organ was in the Turner Sims Concert Hall, where the reverberation was negligible when an audience was present, the organ allowed much music from the Barock era to be played satisfactorily with appropriate tone colours and balance; it was most satisfying sound yet one could not describe it as beautiful. St Bartholomew's church Orford's interior is both wide and lofty and provides a few seconds reverberation, even when there are over a hundred people in the church. This transforms the sound of the organ into one which is memorably beautiful! Perhaps one might argue that Peter Collins would have voiced the organ differently if this church had been its original home; however Cousans  have done an excellent job in restoring the organ to life once more! 

As ever the most important stop on any organ is the acoustic of its building. I seem to recall reading that the Armley Schulze never achieved its much-deserved recognition as long as it remained in a wooden shed at the bottom of its first owner's garden. What transformed it was the transplant to St Bartholomew's.

Accurate but a trifle harsh..

the Organ House was designed by Pugin the younger.

in Allbutt’s words “ it was a pleasant building in chalet style,large enough to seat some eight hundred people...built of mainly wooden framing,protected by slates and panelled within with fine white woods its acoustic properties proved to be sympathetic with the music”