Mander Organ Builders Forum

Communion Settings

Paul Carr

I'm currently looking into settings for Common Worship Communion.

(Those of you who know where I'm DoM, please don't be alarmed - BCP isn't going anywhere!)

Does anyone have experience of Richard Shephard's Addington Service, reference to that seems to pop up all over the place. A scan of a couple of pages to look at would be even better...

And, what else is out there?

I'm particularly thinking of 'congregation friendly' which at the same time gives the choir something interesting to do.

Over to you!

P.

I think the most 'congregation friendly' of those we use regularly is the Thorne Mass of St Thomas. Though it has been in use here since before my appointment, I understand that the congregation learnt it easily, and sing it comfortably.

Chorally, it offers some scope for the choir, and one can make more emphases in various parts.

(Those of you who know where I'm DoM, please don't be alarmed - BCP isn't going anywhere!)

Does anyone have experience of Richard Shephard's Addington Service, reference to that seems to pop up all over the place. A scan of a couple of pages to look at would be even better...

I'm particularly thinking of 'congregation friendly' which at the same time gives the choir something interesting to do.

Over to you!

P.

Well... I used to use a Festal or Festival Eucharist by Noel Rawsthorne and also one in D major by Martin How - both were RSCM publications - there was also a Norfolk setting by How which a modern day Merbecke. If I were playing regularly in church now I would return to these happily - all three are good sing alongs but were written for Rite A rather than Common Worship. Most things by Shephard are excellent!

If you have a search back then I'm sure we've had threads on this before.

I would certainly recommend the Thorne. I have yet to find a better congregational setting all round - its cheerful, not difficult to pick up but fairly interesting. It is universally liked at our church, and we use it for Christmas and Easter (and the periods that follow) plus other odd festivals. The choir have some descant-type bits which actually add to the setting too - having played it about two weeks for the first time without a choir I thought it sounded quite dull!

Dom Gregory Murray's 'New People's Mass' is also a classic for singability, but not for interest. There is some harmony for the choir but it is very dull and I tire of it quickly. Better for a congregation who don't have a choir to lead them but want to sing, perhaps.

Mathias (written for Series 3) is a good setting, but does need a strong lead. The organ part in the Gloria particularly is quite independent. They'll pick it up eventually, and it is a good sing.

I've never played/sung the Addington Service in church but I do have a copy. I like the Gloria and the Agnus, but don't care much for the rest of it.

The Martin How Parish Communion setting has a good Gloria, with the choir doing the majority of the work and the congregation singing a simple response. Pretty effective, but again I don't care much for the rest of it.

Lots of people seem to rate the Ives 'Salisbury Service'- personally I don't.

I have copies to hand of all but the Murray - PM me if you'd like some scans.

I'd agree with all the comments above - Thorne goes down well with congregations. How Gloria is good, the rest not good for congregation (though I like the Agnus). Grayston Ives Salisbury Service is tosh. We've been doing it since before I started here 3 years ago, and, whilst the congregation know it, it's incredibly dull.

Over to you!

P.

Paul theres a copy at Wordsley, look in the organ on the right. Let me know if you can't find it.

Guest Hector5

I can recommend the newTrinity Mass by David Thorne. It's certainly very congregation friendly, and an enjoyable sing too! PM me if you want contact details and audio files.

Hector

If you have a search back then I'm sure we've had threads on this before.

I would certainly recommend the Thorne. I have yet to find a better congregational setting all round - its cheerful, not difficult to pick up but fairly interesting. It is universally liked at our church, and we use it for Christmas and Easter (and the periods that follow) plus other odd festivals. The choir have some descant-type bits which actually add to the setting too - having played it about two weeks for the first time without a choir I thought it sounded quite dull!

Dom Gregory Murray's 'New People's Mass' is also a classic for singability, but not for interest. There is some harmony for the choir but it is very dull and I tire of it quickly. Better for a congregation who don't have a choir to lead them but want to sing, perhaps.

Mathias (written for Series 3) is a good setting, but does need a strong lead. The organ part in the Gloria particularly is quite independent. They'll pick it up eventually, and it is a good sing.

I've never played/sung the Addington Service in church but I do have a copy. I like the Gloria and the Agnus, but don't care much for the rest of it.

The Martin How Parish Communion setting has a good Gloria, with the choir doing the majority of the work and the congregation singing a simple response. Pretty effective, but again I don't care much for the rest of it.

I have copies to hand of all but the Murray - PM me if you'd like some scans.

Thanks - PM sent.

Paul theres a copy at Wordsley, look in the organ on the right. Let me know if you can't find it.

I had a quick look, but can't see it.

If you can put your hand on it on Sunday morning could you leave it for me as I'll be in for the recital later?

Thanks.

P.

• 3 weeks later...
Paul Carr,

I am relectant to bore Forum members with my comments on the Addington Service but if you'd care to let me have an e-mail address I would write to you.

Good wishes

David Rogers verdi6@talktalk.net

Thanks David - just picked up your email - will read it when I've ploughed through the others, have been away from the computer for a week! :rolleyes:

P.

Thanks David - just picked up your email - will read it when I've ploughed through the others, have been away from the computer for a week! :rolleyes:

P.

A week!!!!! You have used HT and forgot to alter the memories back!!!!!!!!!

See you soon

B