Mander Organ Builders Forum

Ancient and Modern Rev

geigen

Not sure if this is allowed but I have some used Ancient and Modern Revised Hymn books to GIVE away or take to the tip. Some SATB some Melody only. PM if interested and near Northampton/Kettering. Does anybody still use these books?

Not sure if this is allowed but I have some used Ancient and Modern Revised Hymn books to GIVE away or take to the tip. Some SATB some Melody only. PM if interested and near Northampton/Kettering. Does anybody still use these books?

:(:o:lol:

Maybe not, on your planet, but in the real world - YES!

David Wyld

Actually, I think I'm vaguely offended by the thought that you want to take these books to the tip.

Are they the latest version? I get confused with how many edition of A&M there are. Only on Saturday I found the edition (underneath the Bourdon chest of my 1898 J W Walker organ) I wanted which contained the Hymn tune 'Freshwater', which no other hymn book has, maybe. So having scrapped A&M what does Tromba propose to get instead?-Hymns old and New? Actually Common Praise is a good one - there are some nice tunes in that like Coe Fen etc.

All best

JT

I am glad A&M is still in use, but you are correct - not in MY universe. The dreaded Hymns Old and New seems to be everywhere; I cannot publicly share my views on it.

They are the 1984 version, 4th impression

To clarify, I obtained these hymnbooks from a church which was throwing them out. I was, at the time, taking a choir on a cathedral visit and we had not got hymn books; I didn't want to photocopy at that time (and would still avoid it)

I need the space in my loft and these have been there for 9 years. I would rather give them away to a good home than take them to the tip which is why I put the question on here. If anybody can think how else I might dispose of them, please advise. I could try Amazon I guess. I doubt Freegle will yield many takers. I also post on the ABRSM forum - any others I might try. The cathedral near me used to use them when I was a chorister 40 years ago but I think they have moved on and even dumped their English Hymnals now - New EH rules OK!

I have not planned my summer holiday yet [if I even have one], so if you live somewhere I'd like to visit I'm happy to deliver them.

Sorry to have stirred up a hornets' nest.

Are they the latest version? I get confused with how many edition of A&M there are. Only on Saturday I found the edition (underneath the Bourdon chest of my 1898 J W Walker organ) I wanted which contained the Hymn tune 'Freshwater', which no other hymn book has, maybe. So having scrapped A&M what does Tromba propose to get instead?-Hymns old and New? Actually Common Praise is a good one - there are some nice tunes in that like Coe Fen etc.

All best

JT

A & M New Standard was the last A & M before Common Praise. It included 333 hymns from A & M Revised and the 200 Hymns for Today.

I have emailed my son to see if he is interested in the offer. (He's in Bath)

A & M New Standard was the last A & M before Common Praise. It included 333 hymns from A & M Revised and the 200 Hymns for Today.

I have emailed my son to see if he is interested in the offer. (He's in Bath)

He's interested. I've PM'd Tromba.

I am glad A&M is still in use, but you are correct - not in MY universe. The dreaded Hymns Old and New seems to be everywhere; I cannot publicly share my views on it.

Aha - in which case, please feel free to send me a PM - I also cannot share my views on this execrable book.

Oops - I meant to leave out that last part....