Mander Organ Builders Forum

Desecration of a fine Skinner

Contrabombarde

Has anyone seen the new movie SALT?

The key event of the film, the assassination of the Russion President in St Bartholomew's Church New York whilst attending the funeral of the American Vice-president, takes in a console close-up before the assassin launches her attack by aiming inside the organ case and causing serious damage to the very fine five-manual Skinner by shooting at the windchests and mechanisms, causing massive ciphers at a quiet moment during the funeral. In the midst of all this musical chaos she then triggers a grenade that leads to the president's death.

Quite a shocking way to treat a fine Skinner if you ask me. I was utterly traumatised. Though I did wonder this: when she starts her attack the facade pipes start jiggling and dancing up and down. Has anyone witnessed that happen before anywhere? Seemed a bit implausible to me.

Contrabombarde

Has anyone seen the new movie SALT?

The key event of the film, the assassination of the Russion President in St Bartholomew's Church New York whilst attending the funeral of the American Vice-president, takes in a console close-up before the assassin launches her attack by aiming inside the organ case and causing serious damage to the very fine five-manual Skinner by shooting at the windchests and mechanisms, causing massive ciphers at a quiet moment during the funeral. In the midst of all this musical chaos she then triggers a grenade that leads to the president's death.

Quite a shocking way to treat a fine Skinner if you ask me. I was utterly traumatised. Though I did wonder this: when she starts her attack the facade pipes start jiggling and dancing up and down. Has anyone witnessed that happen before anywhere? Seemed a bit implausible to me.

Contrabombarde

====================

Wwwwwell.....I'm not sure that a few pipes didn't start moving when I played one or two (marvellous) Skinner organs in the US.

Maybe it was the floor shaking and the pipes standing still.

There is, of course, the celebrated tale of the 50" wg State Trumpets at "Divine" New York.

I've heard the organ and the trumpets in the flesh......flesh that crept I have to say.......but I cannot vouch for the story that the pipes are held in place by small chains, to stop them popping out of the windchest, but I can vouch for the fact that when those ourageous reeds strike up, one's eyes certainly pop out!

The Skinner at Yale is, of course, something else......truly one of the greatest organs in the world of a special type, and one which is really one of a handful of remaining masterpieces of the period.

MM

The rector of the church drops some words regarding the "temptation" of hosting a movie team here.

=======================

The rest of it also worth reading. What fine writing, which combines pithy observation with truth.....my type of guy I think.

MM