Mander Organ Builders Forum

CMQ

DQB123

It is a great mystery to me as to how on earth I manage to receive the RSCM's Church Music Quarterly magazine (and associated stuff) without having a subscription. Does anyone else on this list receive this freebie? And if so, why/how ? Does the RSCM not have a computer system to advise them who subscribes and who doesn't?? :angry:

It is a great mystery to me as to how on earth I manage to receive the RSCM's Church Music Quarterly magazine (and associated stuff) without having a subscription. Does anyone else on this list receive this freebie? And if so, why/how ? Does the RSCM not have a computer system to advise them who subscribes and who doesn't?? :angry:

I get one as a subscriber and another as the church contact. They're certainly pushing more "modern" hymns/worship songs - I suppose they want us all to buy copies of the new hymn book which is coming out soon: "Sing Praise".

I get one as a subscriber and another as the church contact. They're certainly pushing more "modern" hymns/worship songs - I suppose they want us all to buy copies of the new hymn book which is coming out soon: "Sing Praise".

I think that we paid an RSCM subscription of about £74 roughly five years ago, but have never paid since. Was that sub a one-off then? I thought it was an annual sub. In that case, are we still affiliated?

Q

I haven't had one very recently but I have, for about four years now, been getting two copies of CMQ and all the rubbish that goes with it. The whole lot has been going, unopened, into the paper recycling bin at Sainsbury's every time.

A few months ago some silly woman rang me up and wanted to ask me questions about the role and value of the RSCM in the church where I am director of music. I told her I had not been director of music anywhere for about a year but she insisted on asking her silly questions anway and I told her in no uncertain terms exactly what I thought of the RSCM. I eventually got her off my phone - despite my continued attempts to be downright rude - after about 45 minutes.

Malcolm

I also receive CMQ regularly, though not personally a member. I'm assuming it's because I'm a member of a local RSCM area committee. They also used to send me "Sunday by Sunday", but for some reason that has stopped (just at a time when I could make good use of it).

I also receive CMQ regularly, though not personally a member. I'm assuming it's because I'm a member of a local RSCM area committee. They also used to send me "Sunday by Sunday", but for some reason that has stopped (just at a time when I could make good use of it).

It must be that the RSCM does not have a computer so they don't know who is a member and who ain't..... :angry:

I haven't had one very recently but I have, for about four years now, been getting two copies of CMQ and all the rubbish that goes with it. The whole lot has been going, unopened, into the paper recycling bin at Sainsbury's every time.

A few months ago some silly woman rang me up and wanted to ask me questions about the role and value of the RSCM in the church where I am director of music. I told her I had not been director of music anywhere for about a year but she insisted on asking her silly questions anway and I told her in no uncertain terms exactly what I thought of the RSCM. I eventually got her off my phone - despite my continued attempts to be downright rude - after about 45 minutes.

Malcolm

Interesting. I make use of the Sunday by Sunday magazine as I am responsible for choosing hymns at my church, but find less and less of the CMQ of interest to me. In fact RSCM appears quite dead in my area, too. What have you found about them (RSCM) to annoy you?

It is a great mystery to me as to how on earth I manage to receive the RSCM's Church Music Quarterly magazine (and associated stuff) without having a subscription. Does anyone else on this list receive this freebie? And if so, why/how ? Does the RSCM not have a computer system to advise them who subscribes and who doesn't?? :)

Is there not information on the address cover sheet for CMQ to clarify this? In my case, the address sheet of one copy of CMQ which I receive has 'Individual Member of the RSCM' above my name and address. The address cover sheet of the other copy I receive has 'CORRESPONDENT 1: [Church]' above my name and address. As I understand it, the RSCM has the names and addresses of two 'correspondents' of all affiliated organisations in its database. Correspondence etc., however, is only sent to the first of them.