Mander Organ Builders Forum

Christchurch (New Zealand) earthquake

churchmouse

I gather that these three (SIOC foreman Neil Stocker, organbuilder's mate Scott Lucy and Christchurch helper Paul Dunlop) have sadly not survived.

Paul

This is dreadful news.

For what it is worth, I join in sending my condolences to their families.

Thanks. I have clicked the "Like" button on their Facebook. I left the following message from all members of this forum:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The very sad news regarding the loss of your 3 staff in the rubble of Durham St. Methodist Church was posted on the forum of Mander Organs (an organ building company) based in London, UK. May I express deepest condolences from all members of the forum to colleagues and families of those killed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hope you all don't mind me doing that.

Dave

Thank you for this, Dave.

In respect of the town hall and its organ I don't know if Christchurch Town Hall and Christchurch Arts Centre are the same building. If they are then things might not be looking too good. I have just found this through an image search engine:

4955959145_535e34e9ed.jpg

Underneath the photo the person who uploaded it wrote:

"The Arts Centre buildings seemed almost unscathed until I got to Le Cafe - almost exactly where Mrs G and I (and Mr G) met for coffee a few weeks ago."

The same person later follows that up with this:

"I have just heard that there is some serious damage inside. I hope it is fixable. There are STILL aftershocks though, and some of them are BIG. And the wind has finally got up, so there could be more damage yet."

Inevitably, if the two buildings are the same and the aftershocks continue then it looks probable that the situation will get worse for the organ before it gets better. So things might not be too good. Here's hoping that the two buildings - the Town Hall and the Arts Centre - are not the same.....

Dave

Inevitably, if the two buildings are the same and the aftershocks continue then it looks probable that the situation will get worse for the organ before it gets better. So things might not be too good. Here's hoping that the two buildings - the Town Hall and the Arts Centre - are not the same.....

Dave

Having never been to NZ I can only say that according to the map of these two buildings they're about half a mile apart, and the town hall is a very modern building in contrast to the arts centre.

Again sincere condolences to all those affected by the quake, and especially to the South Island Organ Company, three of whose organbuilders were killed whilst removing the organ of a church that had been badly damaged by the 2010 quake for safekeeping.

In respect of the town hall and its organ I don't know if Christchurch Town Hall and Christchurch Arts Centre are the same building.

They aren't, the Townhall is a 60's/70's building, the Arts Centre is in the old University buildings about half a mile away.

We sat at one of those tables last Thursday and ate lunch.

DT